• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stanadyne Mechanical Override Device

erasedhammer

I've seen this device mentioned in several of stanadynes documentation about their injection pumps.
Its a mechanical linkage that can override the fuel shutoff solenoid. I think it'd be pretty cool to have on a cucv, it could make a 6.2/6.5 and entirely mechnical engine, not a single wire needed to keep the engine running.

Anyone ever heard of these? Ever seen any installed?

https://seabeemagazine.navylive.dod...50A-Construction-Mechanic-Advanced-Part-3.pdf - PG. 7

http://www.stanadyne.com/dealerportal/ssi/english/Training/99687 Part 1.pdf - PG. 19

http://www.stanadyne.com/dealerportal/ssi/english/Service Bulletin/108.pdf - PG. 7

TGP (IL)

A lot of earlier Industrial applications, tractors, equipment, used a mechanical shut off,
Rather than solenoid.

After early eighties most were solenoid controlled.

Tom

erasedhammer

A lot of earlier Industrial applications, tractors, equipment, used a mechanical shut off,
Rather than solenoid.

After early eighties most were solenoid controlled.

Tom
Ever see them for sale or parts for sale anywhere?

I wonder if the pump cover could be swapped over if parts could be found.

cucvrus

Not a single wire needed to keep the engine running.

Sorta like my Kubota or an old Mercedes 220D. I have a pull stop on my tractor and a push stop on the customers Mercedes. It took me an hour to figure out how to glow and start the 1971 Mercedes when I first sat in it. I had the owners manual but it was in German and the pictures were the only thing that helped. An actual element in the dash cluster just like the Kubota. Glows red hot and starts on the first crank. Has another manual knob to advance pump timing for fast idle at cold. Good Luck. Not sure what your motive is but Good Luck. Be Safe.

TGP (IL)

Ever see them for sale or parts for sale anywhere?

I wonder if the pump cover could be swapped over if parts could be found.
The stop linkage/lever is below the top cover.
The main housings are different between the two.
You can however put a cover off a solenoid type pump on a
Mechanical pump and override the linkage to control it with current.

One such pump that comes to mind is a Case 580 B or C that uses a lever.
Google it for images.

As far as a kit to convert your top cover I'm not aware of, but I'm not
Looking either.
I'm happy with the way the OEM works and keep a replacement cover Handy.
Never needed it, but probably will now that I talked about it.

Tom

dependable

^^^And I was not referring to your post, and I may have misunderstood cucvrus, .

But it is an interesting topic. While I have only had trouble with a IP fuel solenoid once in many 6.2 engines (would not turn off), I do like the elegance of all mechanical diesels. The only one I have left that is completely mechanical is my Mercedes OM 617.

Made it home from a cross country trip in an old truck who's alt had gone bad hour before home, lights were dimmer than candles, but since motor was all mechanical, I did make it home.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
A complete mechanical injector pump would be great on the CUCV. That would make the engine self reliant. Then add on accessories for different capabilities.

However there is a reason for solenoid control. The manufacturer thought about the economy of assembly and ease of control and went with electric current control.

Simple enough

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks