• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does GP now hose down trucks with paint just prior to auction?

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

Over the last few weeks, I have noticed several 1123's at Barstow with terrible fresh paint jobs. Some have even included fresh footprints in the paint along with painted gravel. Someone is simply masking of the gauge/lights and painting over the dirt/rust. While most 1123's go for under 10k now, I saw a stripped painted 2 door go for over 30k (link below) this week. Can this be for real or is there something special about this painted truck?
(past auction)
https://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/...sort|ad+desc,mf|1&rr=0.125&hitprm=&pnLink=yes

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Over the last few weeks, I have noticed several 1123's at Barstow with terrible fresh paint jobs. Some have even included fresh footprints in the paint along with painted gravel. Someone is simply masking of the gauge/lights and painting over the dirt/rust. While most 1123's go for under 10k now, I saw a stripped painted 2 door go for over 30k (link below) this week. Can this be for real or is there something special about this painted truck?

https://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/...sort|ad+desc,mf|1&rr=0.125&hitprm=&pnLink=yes
Wouldn't surprise me Richie Bros claim fresh paint on heavy equipment brings a average of 25% more than old paint .

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
(past auction)
*** The Humvee sells with a clean SF97.
This means the vehicle is likely owned by a private party and contracted for it to sell through GP.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the "sells with a clean sf-97" is for vehicles sold from the Marine Corps. They don't go through DLA, so don't get the same restrictions on their sale as the Army trucks do.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Someone see's 4,500 miles and thinks that they are getting a low mileage truck that has not been used. Maybe so but from my observation of the pictures shown that I would not believe the mileage to be true. Also certain pictures are not taken that would further ascertain the real condition.

30,000 not from me. I also believe that RB is not in the MV business for charity. And they will sell anything from anybody as long as they get their end.

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

Looked to me like a bad case auction fever. It will wear off just like the paint after the first car wash. Same day and prior weeks sold cleaner M1123's for a third of the price. I suspect that truck will be relisted.

dependable

Reminds me of a heavy equipment auction I once attended. Rows of fresh painted yellow machines, but if you looked closely, some still had gravel stuck in places like cutting edges, with fresh yellow paint on it too.

A crew would go down the line and get each machine running before that machine was on the block.

After the auction, some of the machines would not start for new owners, and others smoked like banshees.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I don't think anything was original when I purchased mine, except the rivets. I wouldn't be surprised... if it could be changed, swapped, unbolted, disconnected or just plan messed with, it was at least three times... keeping GI Joe busy.

Those with super low mileage more than likely won an expensive speedometer on their rig. Sure does kick up the price. Speedo and paint... CRAZY.

If it has the new car smell, look for the little scented tree hanging off the wiper control, CAMO

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks