Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MEP 805A Fuel Help Please!

Private
    Thanks

Default MEP 805A Fuel Help Please!

Hello all. I am new to this group and looking for some help on a 1999 gen set that we received from the Forestry Service for my local volunteer fire department. It has been sitting for several years. All fluids were empty so we started by filling with oil, water and adding good batteries. I added fuel and started pumping the helper pump as well as spinning the engine and couldn’t get anything to pump. Ended up going to local JD dealer and getting a new pump and filter. That fixes getting fuel to filter. Then replaced the line from pump to filter due to a hard clog and a small hole in one of the bends. I now have fuel to the end of the Stanadyne injection pump but can’t get it any further! The solenoid that activates the shut off doesn’t seem to work but I have moved it in both directions and still get nothing to come to the bolt on the side of the pump (I thought it would be a bleeder port) or to either of the fuel lines that go to the injectors. I did remove the end off the pump this afternoon and checked the small screen strainer inside. Small amount of dirt but nothing terrible? I have tried spinning it from the manual switch located near the injection pump as well as the main switch on the control panel. I’m not sure about the 2 electrical wires that attach to the top of the pump or what I should be seeing there (if anything)? I’m not sure if my next move is to hunt a new pump or if there’s something we don’t have in the proper position to let fuel come through the pump? This will be a great addition to our department if I can figure out what’s happening with it so we can check the charging system?? Thank you for any help anyone can offer us!!

Sergeant Major
    Thanks

On my 804a generator, your symptoms along with still not getting fuel would point me to checking the magnetic pickup (mpu). Sometimes the magnet collects funk so that it does not see the motor spinning and doesn’t let the fuel pass. On the 804a, it is on the same side as the injector pump and is about a 3/8” threaded stud with two wires going to it that is mounted on the generator body just past the engine. The books are available for download. It should give a certain range of voltage while cranking the engine with the dead crank switch. Not exactly sure how it is done with the JD engine but the theory should be similar in that it has to see the engine spinning to let fuel through, at least on the newer generations of engines.

Robert

3. The Following User Says Thank You to robertsears1 For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (08-23-2019)

Private
    Thanks

Thanks Robert. I will look at that this afternoon. My only question to that is that since my electronic sylinoid doesnt work, and Im manually moving the shutoff back and forth to try and get fuel through it,,,,will that bypass the electrical problems from the switch your talking about? Thanks again for the response.

General
    Thanks

Private
    Thanks

I downloaded it from here last night. There is a lot of good useful information in it, but I didnt find much on the injection pump itself. I really feel that something in it is stopping the fuel, just never had any experience with this type of pump so Im not sure how far I can tear into it without going too far. With all of the stuff I found here for other models hopefully someone will help us in the right direction!!

Private
    Thanks

Any more ideas or knowledge on this type pump?? Would love to find a parts breakdown or at least someone that has opened the top of one? Maybe a little direction on the correct way to position the manual shutdown to be in run position or what is under the wires going in the top and could it be stuck?? Thanks in advance!!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,116 Times in 2,479 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mgreene View Post
    I downloaded it from here last night. There is a lot of good useful information in it, but I didnt find much on the injection pump itself. I really feel that something in it is stopping the fuel, just never had any experience with this type of pump so Im not sure how far I can tear into it without going too far. With all of the stuff I found here for other models hopefully someone will help us in the right direction!!

Any TQG that turns over, but not start, should have the MPU mesured for proper voltage, pulled, cleaned installed and adjusted. That is the very first thing I would do. That solves 95% of the no start problems.
    Last edited by Guyfang; 08-23-2019 at 13:56.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robertsears1 View Post
    On my 804a generator, your symptoms along with still not getting fuel would point me to checking the magnetic pickup (mpu). Sometimes the magnet collects funk so that it does not see the motor spinning and doesn’t let the fuel pass. On the 804a, it is on the same side as the injector pump and is about a 3/8” threaded stud with two wires going to it that is mounted on the generator body just past the engine. The books are available for download. It should give a certain range of voltage while cranking the engine with the dead crank switch. Not exactly sure how it is done with the JD engine but the theory should be similar in that it has to see the engine spinning to let fuel through, at least on the newer generations of engines.

Robert
    Robert,

all TQG's have MPU's, and all are adjusted the same way. No mater what engine, same procedure.

Sergeant Major
    Thanks

Here is the MPU on my 804a. In this case, the crap on the end was the problem. Another time the end had been damaged and I had to replace it. Pictures would help. Below where you type a message, hit go advanced, then hit manage attachments, then upload your pictures. If I can do it , anyone can!
    Robert

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robertsears1 For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (08-23-2019), peapvp (08-23-2019), Zed254 (08-23-2019)

Thanks

Great pictures Robert! If I send my private email will you send me those pictures? Good training material.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast