• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer "DUMP INSERT" anyone done it? (am doing on an M105A

coachgeo

Did lot of searching but seems folk have only done a conversion of existing bed to dump bed.

How about a truck bed dump insert installed in the trailer bed? Clean and easy.. and transferable to other trucks or trailers if sell or ??

Picking up a used insert for an 8' truck bed along with its 12v electric/hydraulic and ram system tomorrow........ So am I going to be the Guinea Pig? or has anyone else done this? Appears the trailer bed is just smidge longer and wider than a truck bed.

how you suggest to wire it? Example ... there will be enough room to put a battery in the trailer..... so should I instead of running a large guage wire to the LMTV battery box to run the electric.... should I put additional battery in trailer.... and run a thinner wire to charge the bed battery? If so how would I do that?

in below video the frame on the ground is what usually gets bolted into the bed of the truck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74eI6PpqaKw&list=RDQMpiQQnTkmOy8&start_radio=1

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few guys have made them for different military trailers.
They worked great and you don’t ruin your trailer.
Would love to have one, but will get a BigTex dump trailer instead.

I saw about two dozen self contained dump beds at Red River Army Depot.
Diesel engine and hydraulic pump, etc.
All brand new. Sitting for years from the looks of them.
Designed for the 5 ton M923/925.
Very cool and had never seen them before (or since) anywhere.
Remove the tailgate and bed sides and install dump bed.
Instant dump truck.

Good luck
Don't forget the pics when it’s installed.

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use your CTIS in those situations, dump the tires down to emergency pressure, and you wont likely get stuck or tear the yard up as bad

coachgeo

Use your CTIS in those situations, dump the tires down to emergency pressure, and you wont likely get stuck or tear the yard up as bad
ctis is not working yet.... another project for another time.... BUT..... I did manually drop pressure way down after initial stuck. Went down to like 30ish lb's if I recall right. Made no real difference..... Elephant Snot don't care.:papabear:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I built a bed, (8’ long 4’ wide x32” tall) and installed a cylinder on a water buffalo trailer. I believe it’s the same chassis. I installed an aluminum truck box at the front to house the hydraulic pump and battery.

Its about 3 yards, the perfect size to haul sand/gravel from my quarry up the hill to the top (about 11,000 lbs gross). Pulling it with a John Deere 7800 (150 hp). I am not sure a 3/4 ton could do it, because of the steep grade of the hill.

Very handy trailer for ranch work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks