• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How are ya'll locking/securing your 5-tons?

WildernessJeep

How do ya'll lock up your trucks? I know about the chain around the steering wheel, but that never convinced me, even in the motor pool. This truck may spend some time alone at the property until we get the house built. I'd hate to see it "departed". Are there any easy kill switch tricks that you guys have found? I'm working with a 1984 AM General M936 (Wrecker), BTW.

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm about to install a battery master kill switch on my 5ton truck, going to hide it in a secure spot that's well hidden. I just have the regular type, but you can get them with a removable key as well. There is also a vendor on here that sells door handles that can be locked, but I can't remember who that is.

603hellmutt

I'm about to install a battery master kill switch on my 5ton truck, going to hide it in a secure spot that's well hidden. I just have the regular type, but you can get them with a removable key as well. There is also a vendor on here that sells door handles that can be locked, but I can't remember who that is.
I beleive it's Thosemilitaryguys that sells the door handles. I have a keyed battery cutoff, chained to the nearest tree and i usually take my batteries if i wont see the truck for awhile.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Slip chain and lock for the emergency brake handle works well. Shaving the door rod end and putting a spring behind it works too. They have to know to push the handle in before turning or nothing will happen.

Then again i don't lock or secure my 5 ton at all.

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use the chain and padlock on the steering wheel, the keyed door locks, and a keyed ignition switch too. So far, doing this has keep the neighborhood delinquents honest. Another thing you could do is just disconnect the battery cables from the starter, or something else like that so only you know about it. My uncle has left tractors out for months at a time like that with no thefts.

71DeuceAK

I've heard of people using locking garage door handles before, the ones with the key. Vendors such as TMG also offer locking handles. Honestly, though, it's not very likely you'll have a 5 ton stolen, although there have been cases in which it happened. Too cantankerous to even get started, too loud, too slow, too obvious...they're a terrible getaway car.

With that said...chain and padlock through the steering wheel will deter honest people. Another method is hide a battery cutoff switch somewhere. Yet another would be to disconnect the PCB under the hood on the firewall.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Just depends on how much they want to drive around in a newly acquired MV. It is a pain in the ass but 603hellmut has the only real option for long term desertion. Take batteries with you. Leave battery box open.

If they want truck they will recon first.Then first thing they will do is break window, look for the bat. disconnect. After all they have time to kill. Then if they want bad enough they will bring batteries with them.

The only other option is to disable fuel supply. Without fuel, truck goes nowhere.

fasttruck

An accessory used to be sold for Mack trucks to lock the steering wheel which consisted of a tee shaped bar that fitted into one of the u joints in the steering column and was held in place by a padlock which immobilized the steering.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks