• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need to Replace Wheel Studs

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let's just say that you didn't catch that your left side wheels studs were all left hand threads before you already trashed one or two. Where would you get a replacement? Perhaps for lug nuts too. I've been scouring the tech manuals but clearly not looking in the correct place and my Google-fu is not strong.

Does anyone have a p/n which cross-references to something available locally? Or can some one point me to the correct place in the tech manuals?

"Asking for a friend" and all...

Thanks in advance,
Chris

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let's just say that you didn't catch that your left side wheels studs were all left hand threads before you already trashed one or two. Where would you get a replacement? Perhaps for lug nuts too. I've been scouring the tech manuals but clearly not looking in the correct place and my Google-fu is not strong.

Does anyone have a p/n which cross-references to something available locally? Or can some one point me to the correct place in the tech manuals?

"Asking for a friend" and all...

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Go to the parts TM (ends in -P) and get the nsn or part number and search parttarget.com . It will give you the all the specs on the studs.
It looks like parttarget doesn't have the specs . You may need to press one out and match it at a heavy parts store.

But it looks like you need part # 33 in these screenshots

https://www.parttarget.com/5306-01-363-1749_5306013631749_20X1578.html/-F3EA2A76-1733-4547-A27E-C3906DA48E6B

[url]https://www.parttarget.com/5307-01-493-5858_5307014935858_20-X-1577-Z.html/-F3EA2A76-1733-4547-A27E-C3906DA48E6B

[/URL]

Attachments

Last edited:

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
But it looks like you need part # 33 in these screenshots
I believe I need the one above your highlight as it's the left side so left hand thread. I had just wandered through the manual and was starting to poke through partstarget to see what they would have. Will probably get some new lug nuts and spares as well.

Thanks again!

Chris

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe I need the one above your highlight as it's the left side so left hand thread. I had just wandered through the manual and was starting to poke through partstarget to see what they would have. Will probably get some new lug nuts and spares as well.

Thanks again!

Chris
You may be able to get them from these guys , they used to be a vendor here , but not any more. FMTV TRUCK SALES 406-624-3963

coachgeo

many commercial trucks have rev. thread on one side.... so if you take one with you that has enough thread left on it to match or measure... then a commercial truck place can probably can get them. Also some folk are stripping trucks you might can get some from Patric Foley, or various other folk

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good grief that was fast!!!

THANKS!!!
Just go to the table of contents and scroll down to sthe section your looking ( axles ) and click on the red circle and it will take you to that section. Go to the drawing find the part number on the drawing , then scroll to the list for the part name and part number.
It is a good idea to download the TM's so you don't have wait for them to download and you have them if the internet or SS goes down .

Attachments

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Cool video but that has nothing to do with left lugnuts.
Yes it does and How many Dodge trucks went to war beginning 1916?

It is a Dodge invention?
Chrysler products began using left handed threads in the late 1930's and phased out their use during the 1971 model year. Mopars for many years and tossing the left hand threads was one of first thing I would do when building my race cars.

A '36 Dodge touring Sedan and the front left and rear lug nuts are left threaded. Chrysler did this to assure the owner the lug nut would be tight all the time. They are marked with an L (left thread) and R (right). Hope this answer helps to prevent broken knuckles.

Actually Chysler that did this. The reason for it? I gross misunderstanding of the way in which fasteners work (and the way in which people don't) lead some engineering genius to conclude that the lug nuts should turn against the rotation direction of the wheel. This might make some small amount of since from the viewpoint of any individual lug nut, if the nut were large (in mass) in comparison to the wheel, such that there is some possibility that the inertia of the nut might create a significant D'Alembert torque to loosen the nut, but in fact the nut is so light in comparison to the wheel, and the forces are sufficiently symmetrically balanced that this is not an issue.

The engineering wisdom behind these “backward” wheel fasteners is no doubt based in the concept that inertia on the driver side of the vehicle could hypothetically act to loosen a conventional right-hand fastener as the vehicle accelerates and brakes while moving forward. A similar strategy is employed on most bicycle pedals: the left-hand pedal and crank end having left-hand threads. Here it works great to keep the pedal from unscrewing while you ride and has contributed to a worldwide shortage of choirboys. But when it comes to cars, there are dubious benefits as proven by the fact that GM, and yes even Mopar, eventually abandoned the use of these wacky fasteners.

When you have 5 lug nuts, the nuts do not unscrew as the car goes down the road, no matter which way the threads go. But it DID matter on stage coaches and covered wagons, which had only one nut. Early cars had LH and RH threads because mechanics who worked on both cars and wagons EXPECTED LH and RH threads. As wagons faded out, the practice continued, until there were more people confused by LH threads.

Nope, I have not found the patent yet.................

The concept may have stemmed from the "knock off hubs" where there is a large mass with some inertia when in motion, like an MGB MGC

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Here it works great to keep the pedal from unscrewing while you ride and has contributed to a worldwide shortage of choirboys. But when it comes to cars, there are dubious benefits as proven by the fact that GM, and yes even Mopar, eventually abandoned the use of these wacky fasteners.
Nobody much notices I guess because it's been a long time since one of those old Latin tunes charted in the Top Ten.

Is that the reason, frank8003?

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
e416c675cb621297422ce79a1cb6083c.jpg
left hand one side right hand other side

..... and fasteners don't get complicated, they just get interesting.
The original P-38 fighter plane designed with rotating props different rotation each side was changed to rotating the opposite by swapping the engines but they didn't change the fasteners holding the props on..........
buttress threads.

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
All Ford Expeditions were on call back to change the lugnuts (all RH).
They changed the angle of the nuts where they seat and made specific torque of 104 lbs for tightening.
Some folks wheels got loose and one or two fell off after changing to a spare.
Hey, We full of totally useless information here.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have posted a "Wanted" ad in the classifieds section but does any one here have any LH thread studs they would be willing to part with? I would like to get at least two.

I thought I found a replacement today with NAPA but they were .007" too big. I will be trying some of the vendor contacts and other local places on Monday. If someone had a commercial cross-reference p/n I would be grateful.

Chris

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have posted a "Wanted" ad in the classifieds section but does any one here have any LH thread studs they would be willing to part with? I would like to get at least two.

I thought I found a replacement today with NAPA but they were .007" too big. I will be trying some of the vendor contacts and other local places on Monday. If someone had a commercial cross-reference p/n I would be grateful.

Chris
They are $3.25 on ebay. 20x1577Z is the keyword search. Buy atleast 10 to have on hand.

Euclid nor webb make a replacement for that meritor stud. One company does but they have 0 in stock in the US

Last edited:

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For future reference, do you have the p/n for the RH thread ones too?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks