• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-806B Surging (resolved)

fcbrants

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 2011 MEP-806B with 515 hours on it. It hadn't been started in a few months & it started surging on the first start. I shut it down & restarted the computer & that appeared to solve the problem on that first day.

I've been using it most afternoons when the wholesale electric rates go through the roof - Texas power is deregulated & one of the providers (Griddy) allows you to pay the wholesale rate - great at night (1.5 cents / kWh + 3.5 cents for transmission charges), but not so great (up to $9.00 / kWh) when the grid is constrained.

The surging returned & was barely noticeable, but you could hear it in the genset's engine noise & my home's A/C system. I read the TM's troubleshooting guide, drained the fuel filter & checked the air filter (both replaced at 405 hrs) & they both looked fine - no water or sediment in the fuel & the air filter was pretty clean, especially on the inside.

Still, I replaced the air filter & to my surprise, it solved the problem. So, I guess the motto is, "when it doubt, swap it out..." especially if it's an inexpensive part & you have one handy.

I have a video (.mov file from an iPhone), but was unable to get it uploaded using the attachment manager - I will dig around & upload the file if I can get _that_ problem solved...

Cheers!!

Franko

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks