• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to 802A

Pitagot

Good Afternoon, I picked up a new to me 802A yesterday through auction. It is 94 libby that had the tier 2 reset preformed in 08. The meter is showing 54 hours and reset was down at 2 hours. It is in running condition and produces power to the receptacles. I have not verified the connection lugs for power at this time but will this weekend. A few things noted during this initial assessment phase that some advice would be greatly appreciated. When I connected items to the receptacles (1ea 1000watt space heater) the load gauge showed no load, is this expected. Second when adjusting the voltage control knob the voltage meter does not change, also there is very little to no resistance when turning the control knob. The interior is pretty messing and I plan on cleaning that out, is there any issues with this. Also besides that what are other maintenance items I should be doing and would be recommended. The plan is to get in this set condition to be a back-up for the home to keep the well pump and lights going during outage. All helpful advice is welcomed and thank you in advance for your help.

jamawieb

Usually the load gauge wont move using the receptacle. The voltage knobs are all different, some have resistance and some have none at all but both work. The knob wires run directly to the voltage regulator mounted on the back wall. With the unit off take some electrical spray and spray the back of the voltage knob while turning it. It may just have dirty connections.
Change the filters and fluids. Drain the fuel and clean out the tank with shop towels or an old shirt to get everything out.

Pitagot

Thank you guys, I have been reading up on the OM and TM. I guess during the 08 reset the Fuse mod was installed so that is a plus. Correct volt was confirmed at the terminal post and voltage changes confirmed when manipulating the voltage control. Now just the work of cleaning out and all general maintenance items to be performed and this set should be ship shape. Thank you gentleman for the help and advice. Hope to update as I progress through the maintenance items. If you see anything along the way that looks a miss let me know.

Pitagot

General Update: This is a little long I apologize up front. If you see anything or want to know more please let me know. Thank you for reading and your advice.

Maintenance items completed: Fuel tank emptied and fully cleaned out. Well nut replaced with the ultimate nut. New batteries installed. All filters replaced with new wix elements. Replaced the g17 filter on primary fuel pump. Oil drained and replaced with JD break in plus as it is showing 54 on the clock. Installed NOCO charging system to the positive and negative lugs on the slave port. Filler neck assembly presented with a large amount of rust. Rusted was removed using electrolysis, metal was sealed with red kote fuel tank sealer.

Genset Operation:
1st Run No Load: Got the set primed and air evacuated from the fuel system. With no load on the set it was brought up to temp. A large amount of white/blue smoke was observed. All gauges were observed in normal parameters. Run was terminated, run time approx 30mins. Oil level checked and within range, coolant reservoir level did not raise during run was at cold level the whole time. Very little wetness was observed around at well nut and valve for fuel/water separator. Set was left to cool over night.

2nd Run 1st Load Configuration: Installed a four outlet receptacle box to the terminal lugs. Configuration is two outlets hot leg on L1, the other two outlets hot let on L3, both neutrals on L0, both grounds on G, L0 to G bar installed, no grounding rod present. Load bank consists of four space heaters, total watt loaded as found on label is 5500watts, and a shop vac on convenience receptacle.

2nd Run 1st Load Run Report: Set startup was great. Set brought up to temp, S8 moved to 120/240v 1ph position, S6 moved to the L3/L1 1ph position. Circuit was closed, receptacles test showed voltage. Heaters were plugged in with each one turned on with a few mins between each heater. Load meter once all heaters were one was observed at 65%. Prior to load white/blue smoke was present temp gauge just below 180. Once all heaters were on white/blue smoke increased and after ten mins went away. Temp was just above 180 and held during the whole run. A Large amount of carbon particles were observed on the top of around the set. Set was left to run in this configuration for approx an hour. Different the run at various times the shop vac was used on the sets receptacles. When the vac was just turned on the load meter would jump just past 100% band settle to 75% with a puff of black smoke. After turning the vac off white/blue smoke was observed for a short ten count then dissipate. After the run oil and coolant was checked and was the same as the 1st Run. Same wet areas observed.

General questions / observations:
Well nut - I had hard time getting it tight, the metal panels around it does not allow for clearance. Is the general consensus to trim this metal away to provide clearance?
Fuel/water sep valve will need to be removed and Teflon tape applied to help seal.
Walking/rough idle issue - The set is in my garage on smooth concert, this is not its final location, during the shake down/testing period. During the hour load run it was observed through sight and audible that the engine will go through periods of rough idle rough more then normal then smooth back out again. This caused it walk pretty good. Is this change in idle typical?

This set looks pretty rough around the edges but mechanically seems to be running like a top to me that’s what matter. She can be dirty but as along as it does the job that’s what it’s there for. I’m pretty excited to get the final shake down done and hookup to the house complete which I will have an electrician to help with. Also I am not a professional with electrical so if I did something totally wrong please advised. Also you want more info, pictures let me know. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zed254

"2nd Run 1st Load Configuration: Installed a four outlet receptacle box to the terminal lugs. Configuration is two outlets hot leg on L1, the other two outlets hot let on L3, both neutrals on L0, both grounds on G, L0 to G bar installed, no grounding rod present."

Install a ground rod. Your system needs to be grounded for safety.....as in YOUR safety.

I would move the Aux Fuel line out of the input air vent.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks