• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Canvas top window replacement...

BigPHIL

Hello... Has anyone replaced just the window material in their m998 canvas top? If so, what product did you find to be the best suited for that task? If possible, is there a link or reference to that source that we can use for replacing ours?

Most importantly, thanks so much for this forum and the good people on it who share information. Without the resource, my son and I would have no chance of understanding the nuances of our 1991 m998 hmmwv.

Roll on!

donquijote

I think Regalite Vinyl is used. I saw a roll of it at the auto upholsterer that re-sewed my windows back to the vinyl with better thread.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Double polished marine vinyl works well. Usually can be ordered online.
Up to you to figure best way to sew it in.
Bdgr

papakb

Find an old time reupholstery shop that does things the old way. Most of them used to replace the windows in convertibles and sports car tops. They might still have a machine capable of handling something the size of your window or side doors for when the sun eats the threads out of the zippers.

Etsy sells the vinyl in 20, 30, and 40 gauge for $7-14 per yard, 54" width.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Search posts here and on IH8MUD for people who have restored the vinyl to clear and looking good.

Before you go crazy, there are products to restore the vinyl to clear.

Also, try a local boat shoppe as they will know exactly the products to use.

Best,

T

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks