• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

KDS Yellow box blown diode repair

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone been down this path already? Big power diode blown up near mosfets that juice the glow plugs. Not sure of rating, will order 50 volt 30 amp or so and see if it fixes box. Box would not glow.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe you are right. The diode is connected between the source and drain on the three 75344G Fairchild MOSFETs, not sure of the purpose. If someone tried to jump the truck off reverse polarity, the +24 volts would travel through the chassis to the engine, backfeed the glow plugs, and then 24 volts would try to flow through this small diode to all the vehicle loads, causing it to blow up. Since the mosfets don't work, more is smoked than just the diode.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks papakb, that means that since the suppression diode is "optional" and not part of the circuit required for the mosfets to switch, either the mosfets are blown too or the upstream gate trigger voltage is not longer present which I have no way to fix. Hmmm.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks