• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New ride won’t shift correctly

Dannyblake10

Good morning all
first off I’m new to this forum so hello all

Anyways, a few weeks ago my brother picked up a new HMMWV from gov planet with the 6.5L and 4L80E. Finally got her home and have been going through it to work all the bugs out. The vehicle is very clean but is having one huge issue....it doesn’t shift. When we start it up and it’s cold, it will drive, make it to third gear, then drop back to 1st after about 30 seconds. Almost like a limp mode.

The codes its giving are 12, 85, and 87

We have replaced the speed sensors in the trans a t case, as well as throttle position sensor and calibrated it to the correct voltage.

Has anybody experienced this or maybe have any input?

thanks all

-Danny

Dock Rocker

If it shifts into 3rd gear it’s not in limp mode. You can only get to first and second in limo mode.

My guess is you have a problem with hard parts in the transmission and not the controller.

I would at a minimum check the fluid level and see if it’s burnt smelling, drop the pan and replace the filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dannyblake10

Fluid looks good. I haven’t dropped the pan yet however. I’ll do that and see how it’s looking there

Those codes wouldn’t mean something electronic or something with a sensor?

And thanks. I’ll do some reading

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Take a look at the third link I listed above. There's a lot going on with 4l80E's. The info is very in-depth. My quick review, I would look at page 122 after all the simple battery and grounds inputs are met. Good luck.

Simple when it all works, CAMO

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks