• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116A? trailer rim question

mkrusi

Hello i recently purchased a pioneer tool trailer which i believe is mounted on the M116A1 frame.

Those should have the split rim style rims but mine does not. I would like to get a spare rim for emergencies. Does anyone happen to know what type of rim this is. I read it is a 5 lug bud rim but i cannot seem to find any other military trailers with my current rim setup. They are all the split rim or the later model rim with 8 lug pattern.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like someone fabricated that wheel. What size tire is it on there? Jack it up & spin the wheel. Does it run true? Looks like its been balanced. Many have shied away from the original wheel & tires because fewer & fewer shops will work on them. If tires are available -- run them. Nice trailer!

mkrusi

Looks like someone fabricated that wheel. What size tire is it on there? Jack it up & spin the wheel. Does it run true? Looks like its been balanced. Many have shied away from the original wheel & tires because fewer & fewer shops will work on them. If tires are available -- run them. Nice trailer!
its the standard lt truck tire i believe 235/85r16. it runs true. it pulled straight for 510 miles when i took it home. i am going to run them but i was just looking for a spare for accdients

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a one piece GKN rim to allow tubeless tires on the earlier trailers...... It is a DOT approved rim and as rare as hens teeth I am afraid.........

Z

mkrusi

That is a one piece GKN rim to allow tubeless tires on the earlier trailers...... It is a DOT approved rim and as rare as hens teeth I am afraid.........Z
Well ****. not what i wanted to hear about being rare. But its a start atleast i know what they are. Now for the hunt for a rim.

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a huge lot of them a few years back and they went like hotcakes...... I still get power wagon guys emailing me to see if I have any more....... If you do find one, expect to pay north of 100 for a used rim and up to 350 for an NOS one. They did not make many as they were sort of a hold over retrofit for the older 3/4 ton trailers in the last few years they were in service. As an alternative, there are a few power wagon guys that offer a recentered budd type rim-- you can get one in the 16" rim size and have a functional spare though the style will be slightly different than the gkn's. Also, there might be the issue of DOT compliance on recentered rims but I never really looked into it. As an absolute last resort, you can use a modern radial tire with the budd rim if you also use a radial rated tube. Since you are only using that third rim for a spare, that is probably the route I would go for cost.

Z

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ZiggyO has the right idea. Just find a used rim from the older m37 or m101a1 trailers. Have a truck tire place mount the radial with a radial tube and be done with it for a spare. I have not found anyone at my location that will work on these except truck tire shop with old mechanics who understand lock rings. Make sure the radial tube has the correct tire stem bent to clear the rim.

Maybe fab a mount in place of the jerry can bracket?

On a different note, I am in New Orleans and lots of military trains traverse this area and I am very close to the railroad bridge crossing the Mississippi. I once saw multiple trailers m149,m105, gen set trailers (10+) with the 20 inch bud wheels all changed to a one piece design black rim with no lock rings similar to what you have. Not sure where they were going but those rims were interesting.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks