• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002A high voltage help 160v to ground

t2Gmn4r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have worked on this for a while now. I believe my voltage regulator board and Rheostat is good but they however will not adjust the voltage at all. I am leaning towards CVT as the problem. I plan to test first chance but my main Question is if I have a extra CT can I install in place of CVT. Are they basically the same specs just different labeling and marking on the outside. I am getting 160v to ground and 330 phase to phase. Any other suggesting what to try is welcomed. I am using trusted voltmeter for values and not trusting onboard meters.

Last edited:

t2Gmn4r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was wandering if the only difference was the outside marking. CVT/CT. I work with current sensors and lots of different part numbers do the same thing. There is two sets of wires running threw the two of these sensors and one is for sensing current and the other voltage so in reality they could be the same but the wires connected to the two sensors is going back to different sensing devices, one reading current and the other voltage. Sorry if I asked a stupid question. Yes I have a TM .

Guyfang

Staff member
The only stupid question, it the question not asked. The milatary is big on interchangeable parts. But not these two. Didn't mean to sound like a nag, (this time!).

What makes you think your Volt Reg card is good? And your R1 reostat? Did you test them IAW the TM?

t2Gmn4r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have tested R1 with ohm meter and get 0 to 954 ohms from low to high on adjustment no jumping around as I adjust it was smooth. Volt reg board I bought a certified one to replace the one I had for which now I think is good also. I had a electronics buddy test items on board of old one and he thinks is good and I get same values on new board. Because I know the old one give me correct voltage how it was adjusted I did not play with that board. I forget now without looking at the diagram but the two adjustable resistors on the volt reg board I wrote down the ohm readings before I adjusted them so I could get back to original. Nothing that I change on those two resistors or R1 has any affect on voltage output so I am thinking something else before or after volt reg board might have me. Just for kicks and giggles I was going to check T1 and T2 however not tonight. Wife’s car was hit with a falling high voltage line about 1 mile from house because beside her someone took a pole out and line caught her mirror wrapped around car and axel. She is not hurt, car did not fare as well. Anyhow that knocked my power out at the house so we are in the camper currently, clamping in the front yard. Thanks for your time, any other ideas to try or which direction to check?

Chainbreaker

I would definetly check the T1 & T2 transformers in the control box as they are part of the voltage regulation circuit. I had one of them fail and had a reading of 165V.

t2Gmn4r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like T1 the larger of the two is open across H1 and H2 so now looking for one of those.
NSN 5950-01-055-1266
72-5005
P8093

t2Gmn4r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anybody happen to know what the specs is on this transformer T1? Line/ low side voltages?

appears to me high side is 160v without voltage regulator working and 120 with voltage regulator working.

low side 6 volts on each side with a center tap for a total 12v
this is My best guess.

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

Does anybody happen to know what the specs is on this transformer T1? Line/ low side voltages?

appears to me high side is 160v without voltage regulator working and 120 with voltage regulator working.

low side 6 volts on each side with a center tap for a total 12v
this is My best guess.
Have you checked in TM 5-6115-584-34? I know it has a trouble shooting section and provides some resistance values to check around PDF page 85 (printed manual 6-12). There are also some schematics that follow.

t2Gmn4r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info, i read that and checked the ohms. High side basically open and low side was correct. According to schematic i could tell high side is 120vac and if i did my calculations right according to the ohms the low side was 6vac on each tap . I was trying to figure out low side voltage to get a replacement transformer because i am having a hard time finding the exact part number replacement.

Guyfang

Staff member
Transformer 5950-01-055-1266 is still in production by the SNC manufacturing company. Its a component of the Fire finder radar Cost was about 40-50 bucks.

Part numbers:
72-5005
P08093
P8093

Last edited:

t2Gmn4r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well i had a friend that repaired the T1 transformer for me and installed today and they was my whole problem. Thanks to everybody that replied to me on here. I have a new T1 ordered just to have as backup also.

Chainbreaker

Well i had a friend that repaired the T1 transformer for me and installed today and they was my whole problem. Thanks to everybody that replied to me on here. I have a new T1 ordered just to have as backup also.
Thanks for getting back and letting us know the problem/solution! I experienced that exact failure a couple years ago...ongoing vibration along with deterioration of the kraft paper used to secure the transformer winding solder lead to the termination screw tab caused it to break (open) its connection.

By the way, where did you find a replacement T1 transformer? I might need to stock a spare if more are available.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks