• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AMi (M916 & M970) saved my parent house from a grass fire.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased/traded the M970 from M35A2-az and the M916 came from Ohio, specifically for water to fend off a fire until the real firemen can fight fire. Well today was the day she paid for herself.

AMi.jpg

Last Monday, 19 Aug 19, I walked out on the porch before supper, happened to look to the North and spotted a pair of fires not far off, sparked by lightning.

IMG_6025.jpg
photo is about 10 minutes later by wife
Hollered at 16yo to go start AMi, I have to put pants on.
Longest 4 minutes later after she pumped air to 90psi, we were off.

My parents house is 4 miles from ours and the fire was going that way. When I turned off the highway with 1.5 miles to go, I could see our rural fire department a couple miles away with a single truck. I stopped half mile from their house to help a neighbor get a big gate open and tell him I was going to my parents house. Myself and a sheriff had a drag race to their house, he started throwing garden hoses and I was throwing big hoses and opening valves to get the water out of the tank.

Less than 5 minutes after we got there, the fire was on us to the point that smoke inhalation was inevitable, sheriff went to get a fire truck, me and AMi stayed and pushed water. I questioned if I had made the right decision when the smoke was too thick to breathe and the burning embers were falling on us. We did make the right decision, we saved the house.

https://youtu.be/JLKFmO_swTk

I was a little busy so I wasn't photographing. My wife did from 4 miles away.

IMG_6026.jpgIMG_6027.jpgIMG_6029.jpgIMG_6031.jpg

Aerial photos/video from 2 days later.

https://youtu.be/NhgP27wig7A

https://youtu.be/Rd3jwH7laDQ

IMG_3550.jpg
35 years of trees up in smoke in a matter of minutes.

The wind shifted from the SE to SW about the time the brush trucks started showing up. You can see the smoke shifted at 1817.

30 minutes from the time I left until it was finished at the house, AMi had done her job, saved the house. Me and my brother lost our storage buildings, parents lost a couple trailer, neighbor lost 2 big hay piles. Not bad for a 1,083 (est) acre fire..

We got to go home about 2230 Monday night, AMi only had a few hundred gallons left, if that from filling brush trucks. The next day the winds picked up and fanned the embers to a fire again, so we went back with 2 more loads of water along with 4 other tankers who made as many if not more loads than I did.

2 days, 18,000 gallons of water, 4 hours sleep, the fire was out out this time.

When the sky's are fair, we sometimes get laughed at for being wacky preppers but I dont feel being prepared should be laughed at, so I just smile and wave and hope that I can help some way in the time of need.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
All you folks that live in states that are making it hard to buy and drive these trucks on the highway, should send your state representatives a link to this thread. Someone who has pictures and film might even go to a high school or Junior Collage Audio Vidio department and ask for help in creating a short, 2-3 minute film. Send it to your state representatives. Pictures speak a thousand words.

Great work! Glad to hear a happy ending.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks