• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Australian M816

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M816 Classy - stlsldrs.png

Just found another pic of an Australian M816 in an Army museum collection. Did not know that 77 was the total purchase order from AM General.

Sharp eyes will pick out some of the differences to US issued wreckers.

Attachments

Last edited:

EO2NMCB

Modified hood for Jake brakes? Rookie bars on the bumper, missing red light next to the turn siginal on the drivers side. I remember reading an article some place on the Australian M816's some time ago.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
G'day everyone,...Any idea what museum that's in?Aussie.
Canberra at the War Memorial Annex
apparently it's out-back, not in the public area. An ex Recy Mech was visiting.

Modified hood for Jake brakes? Rookie bars on the bumper, missing red light next to the turn siginal on the drivers side. I remember reading an article some place on the Australian M816's some time ago.
Jake brakes were not a standard mod - only fitted on a small number (~4>) by the operators on a hush hush basis.
"Rookie bars" were standard over there, though 'topper' varied - some were just bars, others had large washers welded or balls. Most appear to be painted white to reflect headlights back to driver.
Red "hazard" light was replaced on all wreckers with one or two rotating beacons mounted on a 'headache rack' behind cab. Some were extendable for 'on scene' visibility.

Pat...….. no comment!!! Bonnet [Hood] is being "detailed" in the house.

No-one spot the bracket on the drivers mud guard [fender] behind the bumper... probably supports a tray for 2 Jerry cans or other CES [Bii].

Obviously it is missing a bumper shackle and the winch chain-hook.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,.....

Canberra at the War Memorial Annex
apparently it's out-back, not in the public area. An ex Recy Mech was visiting.

Thanks for that,......

I wonder if I should drive out there with my Deuce for ****s and giggles,...?

Would love to have a look around the museum though,.....

Aussie.

77 AMG

Interesting that the brushguard is tubular, versus the flat and welded plate style that I have on mine. Also, the tubular piece on the drivers side, between the fender and bumper- what is it's reason?

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting that the brushguard is tubular...

Normally that is a difference between the earlier 543's and 816's, though replacement grilles on 816's could be the slat type.

Also, the tubular piece on the drivers side, between the fender and bumper- what is it's reason?
Many of the Australian wreckers used this space for added storage trays; Jerry cans etc. Even heard of one that had a 'bush toilet seat' there.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting. Why only one the drivers' side, instead of both? That would make more sense, from a balance point of view.
As far as I understand the tube is only on the driver's side because it (and also a triangular gusset) is part of the extra support needed for the air cleaner which is also driver's side only. This is true of all American M809s that I've seen and is not unique to Aussie trucks.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as I understand the tube is only on the driver's side because it (and also a triangular gusset) is part of the extra support needed for the air cleaner which is also driver's side only. This is true of all American M809s that I've seen and is not unique to Aussie trucks.

I think there is a little confusion to the earlier pics and reference to the support strap:-

M816 tray support.png

77 AMG

Actually, zebedee, I understand the reason for the support brace going down to the weight tray. It was the large brace that I wasn't sure about. I just got my 5 ton last weekend and I will be awhile learning about it. Sorry for the distractions.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got my 5 ton last weekend and I will be awhile learning about it. Sorry for the distractions.
No need to apologise, learning about vehicles and asking questions is what this site is all about. I am trying to learn about Aussie M816s and the differences from the US issue ones, but it's difficult from this side of the pacific! There are several veterans and a few trucks in museums with associated curators, that are putting up with my questions and requests for photos. A lot of my fabrication and positioning of parts that are different, is based on digital scaling from good pics..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks