• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bumper mount tire carrier?

jholler

I'm looking at replacing the rear bumper on my m1009 with the step bumper from my m1028 parts truck. I'd like to mount a swingaway spare tire carrier. Knowing that the body sheet metal isn't made to support that weight, does anyone know a specific application that will mount only to the step bumper, and swing out far enough to allow me to drop the blazer tailgate? I want this because I'm mounting q78-16 TSL Swampers on the blazer, which are nearly 36" tires, and I don't believe a spare will fit in the oem spare location.

Glockfan

Yeah, I am in on this... I would like to actually move my spare tire to a swing out spare tire carrier mounted on the bumper of my truck. I am wanting to do the same thing you are doing.

CrustyM1010

I plan on making a custom swing out tire carrier. If you plan on making one as well, then this kit off amazon is a staple for any fabrication you plan on doing. Has the most important part, the hinge. And the reviews are pretty positive. Actual has a bearing in it.

DIY4x4 has a bumper with a spare tire carrier if you want one pre assembled.

Attachments

cucvmule

collector of stuff
I have to wonder if a tire carrier from a jeep, old or newer could be altered to work?

Would you like a bumper mounted? Or swing out mounted to the rear tail light bulkhead?

Offroad Design

Supporting Vendor
If you are going to build a swing out that is the width of the bumper make sure to use a really burly spindle. With how wide our trucks are it puts a lot of leverage on the spindle. Also helps to use a spindle that is has a bracket to capture the top to make double shear.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
There was a give, pay it foreward of a 1009 tailgate that had a tire mount bracket bolted to it. I believe I seen it yesterday? It does seem like a lot of weight to hang on the tailgate?

Its in parts for sale

cucv 1009 tailgate

free to good home

its in VA has pictures

Last edited:

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I plan on making a custom swing out tire carrier. If you plan on making one as well, then this kit off amazon is a staple for any fabrication you plan on doing. Has the most important part, the hinge. And the reviews are pretty positive. Actual has a bearing in it.

DIY4x4 has a bumper with a spare tire carrier if you want one pre assembled.

I just used that same carrier hinge on my homemade HMMWV swing out carrier. It worked great.

20190915_181907.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks