Thread: MEP804A start/run problems

Private
    Thanks

Default MEP804A start/run problems

2007 MEP804A will start but will not run. Red trouble light--no fuel. The tank is full, I do not hear any priming when the switch is placed in the prime run position. Any help or ideas. I have had this genny for several years and have tried numerous things!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,137 Times in 2,490 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frapman54 View Post
    2007 MEP804A will start but will not run. Red trouble light--no fuel. The tank is full, I do not hear any priming when the switch is placed in the prime run position. (What prime position? Aux prime? Because there is no prime function. You will never hear pumps run, when its in the run position.) Any help or ideas. I have had this genny for several years and have tried numerous things!
    Try this.
    1. Start normally. Hold the S1 in the up position, and don't let go. Then push up the S17 switch, and when its light comes on, let go of the S1. Will the set run? Or stop? The idiot light should come on. For no fuel. It probably means your fuel level switch, FL-1 and FL-2 is not working. Could be its stuck. Could be it broken. Try this, and if it runs after letting S1 go, pull out the Fuel level sender and test it IAW the TM.

Thanks

Please inform us of what 'numerous things' you have tried?
    "Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl"

"Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 155mm For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (08-29-2019)

Private
    Thanks

I will go out in the 99 degree and give this a shop.

Private
    Thanks

I held the S1 switch in the run position, pushed in S17(the kill button). As soon as I pushed in S17 the genny died. Yes the idiot light came on also. I don't understand the test.

Private
    Thanks

Shortly after bringing the genny home I put new batteris in her. The genny would start and run but ran rough. I did some research for this problem and one of symptons pointed to the pump timing. The pump is brand new so I thind prior owner installed it incorrectly. The pump was not timed correctly. I removed it and following the TM I installed it correctly. I bled the air out of the system and started it. It ran okay for a while then died. I found the 3amp slow blow fuse went South. I ordered a new and installed it. The genny fired right up and ran great. I let it run for a good 30 mikes, observing the oil pressure, H2O temp and charging. All was perfect! I then changed the oil and filter, fill the tank to the nuts and put it away till I needed it.
    A couple of weeks ago I fired the genny up. It would start and run as long as I held the S1 switch in the start position but as soon as I let go of S1 the genny would die. The idiot light for low fuel would come on also. I was told that probably the FL1 and or the FL2 were stuck so that is what I am looking at now. These floats are hard to get to so what I want to do is try and jumper past them first before I tear into it.
    Does this sound feasible?

Thanks

I held the S1 switch in the run position, pushed in S17(the kill button). As soon as I pushed in S17 the genny died. Yes the idiot light came on also. I don't understand the test.

I ment S7 switch, not S17. My mistake. Try again

Thanks

Shortly after bringing the genny home I put new batteris in her. The genny would start and run but ran rough. I did some research for this problem and one of symptons pointed to the pump timing. The pump is brand new so I thind prior owner installed it incorrectly. The pump was not timed correctly. I removed it and following the TM I installed it correctly. I bled the air out of the system and started it. It ran okay for a while then died. I found the 3amp slow blow fuse went South. I ordered a new and installed it. The genny fired right up and ran great. I let it run for a good 30 mikes, observing the oil pressure, H2O temp and charging. All was perfect! I then changed the oil and filter, fill the tank to the nuts and put it away till I needed it.
    A couple of weeks ago I fired the genny up. It would start and run as long as I held the S1 switch in the start position but as soon as I let go of S1 the genny would die. The idiot light for low fuel would come on also. I was told that probably the FL1 and or the FL2 were stuck so that is what I am looking at now. These floats are hard to get to so what I want to do is try and jumper past them first before I tear into it.
    Does this sound feasible?
    Of course you can cheat the float. You can also just pull the C- plug out of the fault indicator. Then the fault will not shut the gen set down. But also, NO fault will be seen by the fault indicator. I would look at the float first.

Private
    Thanks

Okay that sounds better, I'll let you know what I find. I pushed S7 up and let S1 go to run position. The genny kept running like it should, so that indicates what? bad floats

Thanks

Not always bad. Could be stuck. Pull it out, check it IAW the TM.