• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VIN Lookup for Title

HDN

I'm trying to help out a friend with doing a VIN lookup for a late 70s M814 that is missing a title (was told it was lost by previous owner). I have the number off its data plate, but nothing is coming up on internet VIN searches.

I just want to make sure the vehicle isn't stolen and can be titled. Is the internet the right place to check this, or would I have better luck searching through law enforcement? Am I missing another component to the VIN? All 17 characters are there...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Depends on how they titled it. some trucks only use 10. Some use 15 or 16. An LEO running it thru NCIC is the only way to know

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would contact the previous owner(that lost the title) and have them go to the DMV and get a duplicate title. You can even expidite it if needed.

HDN

I noticed something else about the data plate from which I pulled the VIN: It has no contract number or manufacturer printed on it. Is that a normal thing for these trucks? The fields are there, but no information given for them.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Before you do anything, verify the data plate serial number (VIN) matches the one printed on the frame. It is probably painted over and will take some effort to find. I know on the non-reo deuces it was on the drivers side just above (or slightly behind) the front axle on the outside of the frame rail. On reo's on the passenger side. Not sure on 813's. Make sure these match.

Then the LEO probably needs to check it. If the NCIC comes back ok, sell it to someone in a state that doesn't title vehicles over X years :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks