• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A Fuel Drain Well Nut

gatorbob

Got some bad timing. Was just checking my MEP-803A in preparation for the hurricane. Looks like I got a leak at my fuel drain. I have a spare nitrile and spare "improved" all metal one I recall. I bought the one recommended in the archives here just in case.

What's the easiest way to change this? is it removing the outer panels? I saw a thread about someone feeding it through the fuel neck with a coat hanger but I'm not quite following what they meant.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You pull the nut through the side of the tank, then you take a copper coat hanger and bend it straight. Slide the new nut body on, and bend the end of the copper hanger so it becomes a 'stop' (think like an L or T shape)... this will allow you to pull the nut through the tank to the exit, then through and slightly under tension. Run the hanger through the nut that comes with the bulkhead fitting, and begin to thread it on. Get a pair of pliers or something to grab the exterior lip of the fitting, and hand tighten the nut until you can get a tool on it. Once you start, it will become apparent its not that hard. Good luck with the fix and the storm.

gatorbob

You pull the nut through the side of the tank, then you take a copper coat hanger and bend it straight. Slide the new nut body on, and bend the end of the copper hanger so it becomes a 'stop' (think like an L or T shape)... this will allow you to pull the nut through the tank to the exit, then through and slightly under tension. Run the hanger through the nut that comes with the bulkhead fitting, and begin to thread it on. Get a pair of pliers or something to grab the exterior lip of the fitting, and hand tighten the nut until you can get a tool on it. Once you start, it will become apparent its not that hard. Good luck with the fix and the storm.
This is a great description. I appreciate it. Thanks.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 802s are more difficult because off where it is... the 803s are a breeze though. Good luck getting it done and staying saffe.

gatorbob

Well, I am a slacker. I never got around to covering the openings. I estimate 50+ wasps came out the mesh opening by the load cables after starting up the engine today. I can't see the nest so I guess I will be taking off the cover.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They all love in/around the CT windings... mice love to make nests on top of the flat terminal strip too. Good luck, make sure you have some contact cleaner to hit everything while you are back there and its off. Wont hurt.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks