• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Texas to Alaska ... what to take?

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At least it paid dividends with my wife: I told her afterwards, "See, I told I need a forklift & a telehandler!!" Funny thing though, she doesn't argue about it now...she just asks me to find one that is a good deal and not a lot of money. I also told her I need a bigger backhoe, she didn't even bat an eye...taking all the fun out of things.
She sounds great. Kind of like the kind of woman who would let you take a trip to Alaska in your buddy’s 923A2 with AC and air ride seats!

we could complain about our neck back and joints to each other the entire way!

silverstate55

Useless
Steel Soldiers Supporter
She sounds great. Kind of like the kind of woman who would let you take a trip to Alaska in your buddy’s 923A2 with AC and air ride seats!

we could complain about our neck back and joints to each other the entire way!
She said I can't go without her, she's dying to go visit Alaska and around Canada. So I think I'll be towing our fifth-wheel trailer with a MV with A/C and new air-ride seats while following you!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Time will catch up to him.... :mrgreen:

I'll never forget the sound of my rotator cuff tearing in my shoulder, like a wet ripping sound and intense immediate pain...one of my first thoughts was "OK I need to rethink how I lift things," as well as 98G's voice right afterwards "I told you so!"

At least it paid dividends with my wife: I told her afterwards, "See, I told I need a forklift & a telehandler!!" Funny thing though, she doesn't argue about it now...she just asks me to find one that is a good deal and not a lot of money. I also told her I need a bigger backhoe, she didn't even bat an eye...taking all the fun out of things.
Time caught me and realized it was gonna be a waste so it moved on. Jeff Davis calls me the Energizer bunny.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Time caught me and realized it was gonna be a waste so it moved on. Jeff Davis calls me the Energizer bunny.
Yeah, I didn’t listen either. When you feel bulletproof, sometimes it takes a bullet to bring you to your senses (metaphorically speaking, of course).

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Protection?? Bang bang?
Oh, I thought that was a given!

Since Canada doesn’t allow my favorite bangsticks, I’ll have to settle for a shotgun. Which is perfectly acceptable to me.

I have fished and hunted all over the West, Alaska and Canada. I’m more concerned with the two legged threats than the four legged ones.

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, I thought that was a given!

Since Canada doesn’t allow my favorite bangsticks, I’ll have to settle for a shotgun. Which is perfectly acceptable to me.

I have fished and hunted all over the West, Alaska and Canada. I’m more concerned with the two legged threats than the four legged ones.
Agree. That is my worst fear for me and my family. Some crazy person who threatens myself and or loved ones. I actually am an NRA rifle instructor on the side. A cool class to take if you have the time.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed. It’s odd. You think you would be safer in the outdoors than in the city. Not necessarily true. I was fishing outside of Bozeman a long time ago (before Bozeman was “cool”). A few guys showed up, you knew they were trouble from the moment I ran into them. I stuck my King Cobra in my waders and kept my head on a swivel. They were bad news.

Fishing the San Juan in NM in ‘93, I had hitched-hiked my way along the river. Last guy I met just got out of prison for attempted homicide. Same King Cobra on me.

I’m an NRA instructor as well (pistol) and I have pistol, 100 yard and long range rifle range on the ranch. I like guns!

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back on topic a bit, maybe 25 years ago, or so, I was warned about the safety of the AlCan Highway. Not to camp off the road itself as “pirates” did roam the highway.

Not sure how true it was then, or if it still holds true today.

I’m sure the highway has improved quite a bit since the mid 90’s, but, people remain the same. I’m going to take the time
and money to be sure I’m safe.

71DeuceAK

Hey Buffalobwana, I'm in Alaska. I'd always be up for riding along on such a trip. I know a fellow member who did a trip from CA to Fairbanks in three days straight in an M923A2. Anyway, I'll shoot you a PM.

reset2

Read the thread. Did I miss it or not. Is this a round trip or one way for the truck and or driver?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

fasttruck

Alaska ? Plenty of cold weather clothing in the winter and plenty of insect repellent in the summer. Money, money, more money and a little extra cash. Have you priced groceries in Alaska lately ?

vvwilkins

There are dreams, and there are goals. The difference? People rarely work towards a dream. (What do I know, I just made that up. Semantics, I guess)

I want to go from TX to AK in the 923A2. This is 2-3 years out, for many reasons, but half the fun is planning.

I have put 6,000 miles on this truck since I got it in 2016. Lots of upgrades, getting very “Expedition worthy”. Air ride seats and AC being the biggest.

It wont be in one run. I’ll have to park it (storage, or friends house) and fly home for a few weeks, go back and pick up where I left off.

I have collected a lot of components for an expedition vehicle build, well, actually, just a pretty comfortable place to crash and cook food. I can’t afford a proper $40k expedition box build at the moment. (By my estimates, that’s about what you need.)

I can ask the guys on ExPo what I need for camping and expedition travel, but I need to know what you would stock in your truck for a journey like this. What parts would you bring?

Oh, and who wants to join me? Probably best to travel in packs.
Just saw this post: I'd definitely be interested. We would need to meet up at some cross-point as I'll be departing from Southern California. Are you thinking of hitting the Rubicon Trail while in AK?

71DeuceAK

Just saw this post: I'd definitely be interested. We would need to meet up at some cross-point as I'll be departing from Southern California. Are you thinking of hitting the Rubicon Trail while in AK?
VWilkins, hello from another Californian! I've talked to Buffalo here about going along...maybe we can all coordinate somehow? I don't currently have a truck that runs but am happy to ride shotgun with someone.

Pat Gray

Buffalobwana,
I did the AL-CAN last year, late May early June. Found that the traffic was good and was able to be ahead of the family's with kids. (school is out in June)
Had a absolute ball!!!! loved every moment. The things that I would recommend would be:
1. Save for fuel (be sure to take a couple jerry cans) I never ran out, but fueled up when I got a chance even if I had 3/4 tank I would top it off.
2. Save for fuel
3. Take a good camera
I live in Washington State about 80 miles south of Seattle so I thought it would be a quick trip, but I was way off.... I spent over 2 weeks and most of it was driving. I started going up I-5 and crossed the border Sumas, its a lot faster and you don't have to deal with the traffic going into Vancouver. Get your beer and fuel BEFORE you cross the border. After you cross go to a grocery store and pick up some things for making a quick meal or sandwich on the road. I started out going up Canada 1 to Hope B.C., had a good lunch and checked out some of the filming locations where Rambo was filmed (Hope B.C.). We stayed the first night in Cashe Creek and headed north to Prince George and to Dawson Creek.
I would take extra belts and coolant hoses. As for "Being stranded for long periods with out help" you won't be. Some one would be along fairly soon.
Cell phone is very limited until you get to Alaska, take a good GPS
We had seen lots of Bears, but were busy feeding along the highway. Some people riding bicycle's and sleeping in tents along the way, but their were other campers around and I think it keped them away. If you plan on sleeping in a S250 I would not worry a bit.
As for the bugs, we didn't really get into them but I did take some good bug spray. Canada has the cleanest restrooms along the highway and are easy to get to.
I would say to take as much time to see as much as you can. I NEVER had a bad experience along the way.

Canada is very beautiful and the people are fantastic!!!!!
If could do it again............I would leave right now!!!
If you have any questions please let me know, I will do the best I can.
Pat

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks