• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M543 (Multi) won't rev over 1500

flashbucks

Hey guys,
I am new to the forum and new to the MV hobby as well. I volunteer at the New Mexico Museum of Military History. We have over 100 vehicles from pre-WWII to post Vietnam. My problem is we have a M543 that does not want to run above 1500 rpm in any gear. It has a new air filter and I am going to change the fuel filters this week. If that doesn't fix the issue, where else should I look? I know it is loosing prime as it takes 30+ seconds of cranking to get it started if it sits more than a half hour. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Gregg

Also, this unit has dual tank but no handle on the floor by the driver's seat, only the electrical switch on the dash.:mrgreen:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome. When you fix the prime problem and clean and refresh the fuel system, most likely this will resolve.

flashbucks

Thanks. We are trying to get vehicles ready for a film shoot so it will be a couple weeks but will see if it fixes the problem. Any suggestions on where to look first? Gregg

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it have the air governor system on the injection pump?

If so, is it engaged at all times? It should not be, and that would keep you limited to 1500 rpm.(that's its job).

I am not sure that particular truck has this system, but I think it does.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with NDT, if it hasn't been used in a while....sitting kills things, I am dealing with that constantly....it is time to service the fuel system. Also check for full throttle travel and make sure the shut down rod isn't stuck half way to the shut down side, it should be pushed toward the front of the pump/engine with the cable pushed in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks