• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying a humvee off of gov planet

Sbenoit

I found a humvee I like but it does not have a speedometer or a odometer in the great state of Louisiana you need this to transfer the title what should I do???? The odometer will be off now and not correct? Will this inhibit getting the vehicle transferred in my name?

Regards,

SB

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
https://www.expresslane.org/Pages/faqs/tar_q2.aspx

Vehicles less than ten years old must have the federal odometer disclosure completed on the title, otherwise, a separate statement must be submitted.

looks to me like you'll be fine as long as the HMMWV was built more than 10 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stick around and read. Lots of info for you. Everything from how to title a vehicle to Tech Manuals (TM’s) to issues with auctions and EUC’s from govplanet to states that won’t register our FMV’s.

Your vehicle will be sold with an off road title called an SF97. Make sure your state will allow you to register for on road use prior to purchase.

Search the stickies for insurance carriers who will insure our FMV’s as many insurers won’t touch us.

You might consider buying a vehicle from someone who already has a working title for “on road use” rather than taking a chance with an SF97.

Search Juan Prado Juanprado for a fellow from your state who has a great vehicle and is an awesome guy.

No sense jumping in to buy a vehicle you just saw. If there are missing parts there are likely many other issues. These are cookie cutter vehicles. Hundreds of thousands were minted. There will always be another and better vehicle on the horizon. Don’t feel pressured to buy one now.

Unless you know a lot, I might pass on auctions until your knowledge base grows.

Best,

T

Last edited:

lowell66dart

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buy a used speedo, you need one anyway. Put down whatever it says and your good. Remember the fees are what the real goal of the DMV is. Thanks to the work of some Steel Soldiers members you can now get a military plate in Louisiana.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buy a used speedo, you need one anyway. Put down whatever it says and your good. Remember the fees are what the real goal of the DMV is. Thanks to the work of some Steel Soldiers members you can now get a military plate in Louisiana.
Yes and yes👍

What part of La?
Make sure to also update your location on profile as it is a forum requirement.

I am in the big easy if you want to look at one close up.

Sbenoit

Morgan City. So about 1hour from you! I just need to know how to turn the paper work from out of state into a working vehicle on the the road timelines etc.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Morgan City. So about 1hour from you! I just need to know how to turn the paper work from out of state into a working vehicle on the the road timelines etc.
I was passing by in your neck of the bayou yesterday picking up some steel pallets from a fellow member a few towns over.

Is this truck registered in that state or is it just still with the original sf97 from gp?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the sf97 and reassignment is in someone elses name, they will need to register and title in their name. Then transfer to you as big brother won't like that taxes & fees were not paid to that state. There are probably other ways but bottom line is taxes and fees need to be paid at each change of ownership.

Sbenoit

Gov planet has the humvee for auction I would like to bid on it. Wouldn’t that be in the governments name. I buy it in another state? Then get the title and register it in LOuisiana?
They also said state trooper must check out all military vehicles and approve them? Did I ask the question in the wrong way?

Sbenoit

It also has been demilitarized and has a SF97 can you walk me through the steps. How long will it take before I can drive it etc?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
EUC can take a month or two to clear after the purchase, then another month or two for the SF97 to show up. Plus you have to make it street legal and pass inspections.
I know in my state I can purchase a 3 day trip permit to drive the vehicle without any paperwork done, but still needs insurance and whatnot.

So you're looking 2-4 months, maybe more before you can legally drive it on the roads, and that's if everything goes smoothly. I'm at over 5 months now and still waiting on some paperwork for mine, then I still get to go argue with the licensing office and try to convince them it's okay to title it and let me drive it on the roads.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You have to pay within 3 days of auction close, plus submit you EUC paper work and than can takes months, when it gets approved then you have ten days to remove it from their lot. The SF97 will be made out to GP so you will have to get a reassignment of title from them. Don't forget the fees, taxes and charges they add on. That is unless you buy one of their higher priced ones that come with title, and they usually have a starting bid of 9K+.

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry misunderstood as thought it was sold from gp to someone already.
Gp will issue paperwork in your name after euc clears.

State police need to do a simple inspection of data plate serial number to match sale paperwork.
Fill out and notorize affidavit complying with safety equipment. All hmmwvs will comply as already have lights. horn. Seat belts. Wipers. Windshield etc.
I would go personally to Baton Rouge where the special prestige plate office is not regular dmv. Trust me worth the ride. Average wait is less than 5 min. You will be out the door in 10. Bring proof of insurance, notarized affidavit. sf97 with reasignment bill of sale.

Sbenoit

So how long after the auction do I get this paperwork can I drive it back from Georgia? Or will I have to hall it how is the steering is it easy power steering?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
So how long after the auction do I get this paperwork can I drive it back from Georgia? Or will I have to hall it how is the steering is it easy power steering?
Doubtful you are going to drive it home. Per gov planet policy you can not drive a truck off their lot. They do make exceptions but you will not want to drive it. Your last few miles on 90 will surely make it fall apart if it doesnt along I10

Sbenoit

What you mean it will fall apart on 90? I want to use this as my main vehicle. I have no vehicle at this point I would share the photos but some should be squeamish. I have to have more surgery on the the 5th. Long story short been a really bad year. Wife almost died for pregnancy, quit job because of it, roof blew off in the hurricane, now this wreck lost some mobility!

Does it have Power steering will it steer easy?

Is my outlook still 3 months to get the necessary paperwork? For my Louisiana Comrades.

These vehicles are not in good condition? I am trying to use it as a work Vehicle? Do I need to be a mechanic?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The EUC takes anywhere from a couple weeks to a few months, and it has to clear before you can arrange to go pick it up.
Once the EUC clears you're looking at another month or two before the SF97 clears, so you won't be getting it titled/licensed until that comes through.
power steering in these is VERY easy. Power steering pump also operates fan clutch, and the winch for those with hydraulic winches.

In theory you could get insurance and a trip permit and drive it home, in reality this is a truck that has been sitting for a few years, is unknown condition, and for all you know you'll show up and it will suddenly be missing some major components that someone else found very convenient to take for theirs. Hauling it is always going to be the best answer, and spending a few hours or days giving it a thorough going over before actually taking it for a real drive. You'll want to do things like a cooling system flush as well, as these are notorious for clogged cooling systems from dirty water being added to the system.
Your state DMV might require it be inspected by state police to verify VIN before allowing it to be licensed, so that's another blockage.

The other thing is if it's a model with the 3 speed in it then you'll have a long drive. Typically you don't want to sustain over 50-55mph in these. Some people do it with no harm, others have toasted their engines doing 60mph for less than an hour of steady driving.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks