• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help diagnosing failure to crank or stay running

Miscexpense

Need help guys. My 1043 stalled out while sitting at a red light yesterday. I got it to crank back after trying for a few minutes. Today I got it to crank in a garage and it stayed running for about 30 seconds and did the same thing. Fuel is at 1/2 tank. So I went looking for electrical and found a post on one of the batteries was partially melted. Bad ground?? Or has the power issue fried the pcb?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will need to narrow down electrical or fuel issue. Put a voltmeter on the solenoid power lead at the injection pump to eliminate that cause. Then chase fuel issues.

Dock Rocker

My guess is it is fuel related.

Check your fuel filter. Have you done your PM’s on your fuel system?

Check your lift pump and make sure it’s working and getting fuel from the tank to the injection pump.

Make sure that the inlet in the tank isn’t clogged with the sock from inside the tank or other trash. That will make for intermittent fuel problems.

If those check out then you need to look for air leaks In your fuel lines.

Last your IP may be taking a dump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

papakb

If your fuel system is operating normally the IP can draw enough fuel to help a failing mechanical pump until it gives up the ghost entirely. Disconnect the #54 wire from the top of the IP so the truck won't try to start and crank it with the fuel petcock open and see what kind of flow you have. If it just dribbles out the pump on the engine is probably bad. It's a standard GM pump and you shouldn't pay more than $20 for a replacement. When you replace the fuel pump drop the mounting plate too and make sure the pump actuator pin isn't bent. Here's a link to a posting about the job:

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?182645-Part-for-88-humvee-fuel-pump&highlight=fuel+pump

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need help guys. My 1043 stalled out while sitting at a red light yesterday. I got it to crank back after trying for a few minutes. Today I got it to crank in a garage and it stayed running for about 30 seconds and did the same thing. Fuel is at 1/2 tank. So I went looking for electrical and found a post on one of the batteries was partially melted. Bad ground?? Or has the power issue fried the pcb?
Many many of these A2’s have bad fuel from GP, algae in the fuel tank, clogged fuel filters and now bad injection pumps due to the all of these previous items noted. The worst offenders are the Georgia trucks, haven’t. Seen it as bad on the Yermo calif trucks. I R&R the entire fuel system when they come into the shop.
start by pulling you fuel filter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks