• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Local guy with a MUTT for sale on Craig's List

chiefs_55

RE: Local guy with a MUTT for sale on Craig

Yep I'm the guy that posted the MUTT on Craigslist and here, for Mark my father in law... He's busy climbing radio towers and fixing them. I'm helping him sell off alot of misc. stuff in his shop, and on his 2.5 acre property that is starting to look like an antique junkyard. He said that he is willing to trade the M151-A2 along with another M151-A2 body/chassis 3 motors, trannys/gearboxes/axles, tops, seats, etc. for a nice M35 Deuce and a half...

I guess the story is his Dad (Bernie) drove an M35 during WWII... He's always wanted one. He said that his MUTT was used the way they should be and is in the condition of a well weathered, field tested MV. In other words they were used for family fun and paintball (both MUTTs). I will post good pics tomorrow as the MUTT is now cleaned off and pulled out into the open.

Thank you sir for posting a link to the craigslist posting... I would love to see your trucks, and my father-in-law is thrilled to watch them on youtube...

Shannon (for Mark)

Attachments

chiefs_55

RE: Local guy with a MUTT for sale on Craig

Re post

Just found out it is a Specialty Auto RE-M151-A2. These were funded and made by Karl King, who had the original CADed, redesigned with 12 guage steel and laser cut and mig welded rather than stamped. These are significantly stronger and more rigid, as well as easier to weld-repair. It is unfortunately not an original body, but a Specialty Auto RE-M151-A2.

Later after sinking over 1 mil into this idea cut his losses, with only making 200-300 of these, Mr King sold the rights to make these to Encore.

It is a great vehicle for someone not wanting to harm their original body but want a nice M151-A2 to run in parades, off and on-road, etc.

He also has a second mint Specialty Auto MUTT body, (3) original MUTT engines, Tranny and running gear for these, axles, canvas top, doors, misc parts...

He is willing to sell all of the MUTT repro and original stuff for 11000 USD. I will post pics online of cleaned up MUTT, with top, seats, and all other MUTT stuff if y'all wish...

Hope that this response helps answer questions...

Shannon (For Mark)

jumpmasterjim

Re: RE: Local guy with a MUTT for sale on Craig

he is willing to trade the M151-A2 along with another M151-A2 body/chassis 3 motors, trannys/gearboxes/axles, tops, seats, etc. for a nice M35 Deuce and a half...
I have a duece I pwould be willing to trade for you jeeps. I'll attach some photos. I have lots of extras spares bows canvas to for cargo area etc...

Attachments

chiefs_55

RE: Re: RE: Local guy with a MUTT for sale on Craig

Tell me about your Deuce, the only problem I see is the prohibitive cost of travel to do a trade, we live in Florida... email me at chiefs_55@yahoo.com

chiefs_55

Also I spoke with Mark, and I think we'd need to see better pics of the Deuce as well, this doesn't look as enticing to him, but we can chat via email...

rdixiemiller

Re: RE: Local guy with a MUTT for sale on Craig

chiefs_55 said:
I guess the story is his Dad (Bernie) drove an M35 during WWII...
Shannon (for Mark)
Umm...
WW2 would have been a CCKW or one of the other variants of that time. M35 series started up in the very early '50's.

Nice MUTTs!

chiefs_55

I know, he just told me that, it's my wife that suggested that that was why he wanted one.. Silly! He just really likes them for their versatility. It's more likely my dad drove one during Vietnam...

Sorry...

Shannon

jumpmasterjim

This duece really runs well. We picked it up from Chambersburg a couple of months ago and she did 65-70 most of the way home no problem.It has the LDC465-1D in it and I was impressed with it. I have it at a friends house and he put the mud on it while pulling his 1009 out of some mud. It has an old paint job probably from the early to mid eighties. If I had to guess. No major rust issues only a few surface ones. The rubber is good, plus I have a few extra tire/rim combos, and other goodies as well. I hate getting rid of it but I'm getting ready to spend my 3rd year in the sandbox and it is easier to store smaller vehicles in my garage. anyone else out there interested just send me a message. Jim

tokarev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
repro mutts

Karl King did build 151 bodies and assembled mutts. The King bodies I saw had some part fitting issues, but they worked. After King stopped making mutt bodies an outfit called Sandy Engineering started doing it. I dont know the circumstances between those two but the quality of the bodies increased when Sandy was building them. I visited Sandy Engineeering when I worked for Encore and it seemed to be a striaght up outfit. During my time at Encore all we used was the Sandy Engineering bodies. Back in 98 - 99 if my memory is correct the bodies cost Encore around $2000.00 each. Encore never made there own bodies - they thought about doing it or having someone else in the Tampa Bay
area but the cost was higher to get started then they had originally thought. My Mutt is built on a Sandy Engineering body.

iMoose

RE: repro mutts

There are a few of these running around on the streets of Tampa Bay. I see two different black ones around St. Pete alot. Anybody have a good line on one? I'm not sure about paying $6k for one that needs to be restored. Especially if there's no actual collector value. Probably cost as much if not more when you're done than when it was NEW in 1999! See real one's for a thousand that need to be restored. Why would the encore copies cost MORE than an original? :?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks