• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying a MK23...Am I making the right decision?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will be registering mine with Georgia plates for the full gvwr
What title paperwork did you receive? I have seen that stated on these threads that the trucks would come with off-road-use-only titles, but I have been unable to confirm that. Until I can, I will not be bidding. I hope you can shed some light on the titling paperwork you received (or will receive). Thanks.

Navy dude

Yeah the website doesn’t mention anything so I will post what I get when it finally arrives. Probably going to take months though. Digging through the MVD website here in PA I found a new type of registration, memo dated this year for antique and classic military vehicles.

The memo states the vehicle must be maintained to original specs and the standard requirements for limited non commercial use, parades etc. There is no mention of max weight. Most states seem to have the 25 year old antique requirements but this memo states “classic” status is defined by 15 years or older qualifies but requires annual inspection, plates issued for life. I’m hoping that I can get plates on my 2002, we’ll see.

Navy dude

Also I too would like to know where those that state these are branded off road or “tactical” vehicles got their information.The Humvees that were so branded stated that clearly in the description. Now those state clearly that SF97 provided and no mention of off road anymore. The MTVR states neither. I sure wish someone a few months ahead of me in the process would chime in... I assume that with enough time and patience I might be able to get someone on the line at govplanet to answer the question but I suppose I’ll just see what pans out, it’s already bought.

Last edited:

Navy dude

I messaged GP yesterday about the vehicle I won, nothing yet. Like I said I have never seen that attached to the description on any MTVR, and I don't know how anyone would know this unless they went through the process to the end. I have yet to hear anyone actually come on here and say anything about actually having truck and paperwork in hand. Time will tell.

Last edited:

818 Test Pilot

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MK23 drivers in public traffic get a lot of looks. If somebody dared me I could probably change out a MK23 tire in 3 days. I work on My M818 at the house without the use of super human strength. NOTE: You don't need the headaches. Too Big.IMG_1248.jpg

Navy dude

Do you know why some would be able to get a SF97 and others not?
I believe all are the same. It sounds like you just have to opt for that but probably a small fee. I'm still waiting for the euc clearance, haven't requested anything yet. It just seems like there is misinformation out there, like I said unless someone has gone through the process and in the end had some sort of branding on the title and can confirm it, it shouldn't be an issue. As others mentioned, the only problem getting it on the road in most states as easily as 5 tons, etc might be the age of the truck. As many know, it is always a pita getting these things registered no matter how legal the process is. I had to jump through many hoops in AZ years ago with a 5 ton, took effort but got it done.

I seem to remember in AZ the 25 years or older clause would disqualify an MTVR to be registered antique, but full disclaimer I don't really know if there might be another route. I have since moved to PA and there is a new process of registering a former military vehicle, specifically mentioning the need for an sf97 etc. It also mentions that in lieu of an sf97 a bill of sale would suffice. Their classification starts at 15 years old to qualify as a "classic historic military vehicle", and "antique historic military vehicle" is the standard 25. Since this is a new classification in their laws I am hoping that I will be able get my MTVR road registered without commercial expense.

Many know that there are wild variations in result even within the same state, much less in different states. I will say again, there was a period where Humvees were clearly marked Off Road only, it was stated in the description in bold letters. I have never seen that on the MTVR's, any mention of that on these boards in my opinion is not factual.

Last edited:

Mustangsud

I have a MK30 on the way. A question was asked about some people getting 97’s and some not. Fortunately, I’ll get one because we are considered a local gov’t and are considered exempt. Will post pics when I get it, which should be soon.

Navy dude

I have a MK30 on the way. A question was asked about some people getting 97’s and some not. Fortunately, I’ll get one because we are considered a local gov’t and are considered exempt. Will post pics when I get it, which should be soon.
Gotcha, but once again the waters are muddied a bit. I don't believe GP is going to do any screening on how any of the sale paperwork or the vehicle is transferred based on the truck itself or the buyer. Anyone with concrete info chime in. The backside footwork at the MVD is where the issues will arrive. If any of the paperwork is stamped Off road use only or something to that effect, then for my purposes it will be a brick wall. Short of that, I believe there is a legal path to road registration, insurance, etc. It's all about liability, and I am all for occasionally driving this on the road if I have taken a legal path to get there. I avoided buying a HMMWV initially because at the time they were branded off road, then bought 2 once I found ones that were not so branded. I'm sure many worked around a branded title but risk financial ruin if a bad accident occurs. Heck, people drive cars all the time uninsured, pretty stupid, but I suppose if they have nothing to lose they don't care. The rest of us absorb the cost, unfortunately it has become the American way. I have worked too hard to expose myself financially by trying to get creative to get an MTVR on the road. I think it can be done perfectly legally.

Last edited:

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I bought my MK23 at GP, they offered a bill of sale or SF97. The SF97 cost a little bit more. I called the Utah DMV a few times and talked to different people. They all basically said the same thing. If you register the truck as a personal vehicle, there will be no problems. Utah DMV suggested that I get the SF97 because it will make it easier to register. I asked about registering for on road and they all said no problem. I wrote down their names and dates/times in case I have issues. But it seems like I will not. The taxes for my truck are about $240 a year.

I wonder if Utah is a head of the curve on this because of Plan B and the trucks they sell. . . . .

I also was able to find insurance although that was a total pain in the butt. I called a million places and everybody said no. The normal insurance companies for army trucks kept saying it was too new. The regular insurance companies said "Army Truck" and hung up. I even called Progressive and they said no way. So I was really depressed because I had already bought the truck. Then one company called me back and said I was going about it all wrong. They said call an independent agent and ask them to quote you a progressive policy on the Oshkosh MK23.

So I did. I called an agent in my town that was not with a big name company and asked if he could quote me a Progressive policy. He said yes and the rest is history. Now the truck is insured and it is just $540 every 6 months.

Jon

Navy dude

When I bought my MK23 at GP, they offered a bill of sale or SF97. The SF97 cost a little bit more. I called the Utah DMV a few times and talked to different people. They all basically said the same thing. If you register the truck as a personal vehicle, there will be no problems. Utah DMV suggested that I get the SF97 because it will make it easier to register. I asked about registering for on road and they all said no problem. I wrote down their names and dates/times in case I have issues. But it seems like I will not. The taxes for my truck are about $240 a year.

I wonder if Utah is a head of the curve on this because of Plan B and the trucks they sell. . . . .

I also was able to find insurance although that was a total pain in the butt. I called a million places and everybody said no. The normal insurance companies for army trucks kept saying it was too new. The regular insurance companies said "Army Truck" and hung up. I even called Progressive and they said no way. So I was really depressed because I had already bought the truck. Then one company called me back and said I was going about it all wrong. They said call an independent agent and ask them to quote you a progressive policy on the Oshkosh MK23.

So I did. I called an agent in my town that was not with a big name company and asked if he could quote me a Progressive policy. He said yes and the rest is history. Now the truck is insured and it is just $540 every 6 months.Jon
Thanks for the excellent reply.... exactly what I was looking for. At what point during the process did you make the selection for the sf-97? I am waiting for the euc to clear. did you opt for the 97 after the euc cleared? That insurance is pretty spicy but at least you got it done. Nice Job! How do you like the truck?

Last edited:

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not have the truck yet.

It asked what document I wanted when I paid for the truck. Then it added the cost into the price. So when I paid for the truck the SF97 cost was included.

I see that some people have had their EUC clear in 20 to 30 days. I am right at that time so it could be any day now. Tonight I will pray to the Army Truck God in the sky.

Jon

Navy dude

I do not have the truck yet.

It asked what document I wanted when I paid for the truck. Then it added the cost into the price. So when I paid for the truck the SF97 cost was included.

I see that some people have had their EUC clear in 20 to 30 days. I am right at that time so it could be any day now. Tonight I will pray to the Army Truck God in the sky.

Jon
Excellent, thanks!!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks