• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying a MK23...Am I making the right decision?

Efituned

I do not have the truck yet.

It asked what document I wanted when I paid for the truck. Then it added the cost into the price. So when I paid for the truck the SF97 cost was included.

I see that some people have had their EUC clear in 20 to 30 days. I am right at that time so it could be any day now. Tonight I will pray to the Army Truck God in the sky.

Jon
I didn't ask me if I wanted a sf97 before or after paying for the truck. I figured it would after the euc cleared.

Navy dude

I didn't ask me if I wanted a sf97 before or after paying for the truck. I figured it would after the euc cleared.
I'm sure that will work. I'm going to get on it Monday myself. Jon is smart, sounds like he got all the paperwork early so that it is all set once the truck arrives. I noticed in the fine print that it said 97 is only issued after the euc clears but worth a try if they miss that point themselves.

jmb6741

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ive bought 2 non runners and a wrecked one, but have not received any of them yet. Hopefully soon the EUC’s will finally clear and I can get them to the shop and dig into them!

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Considering I’m almost home driving mine from Yermo cali to south of Atlanta it’s a beast but open your pockets. Non runners aren’t running for a reason, EVERY gp MTVR gets fluids checked, batteries, and driven before posting. If it don’t run be prepared to spend upwards of 10,000 easily as there isn’t a single component cheap on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navy dude

Well I just got my non runner with 15 gallons of water in the engine. If anyone is looking at buying a a non runner plan on rebuilding the engine. Gov planet will do nothing for you.
Man, I am sorry to hear that. I did notice a lot of the non runners had the air filters removed and rusty looking on the bottom of the canisters. I had wondered if a large group of them had somehow been flooded out. If so it would have been a nice thing to know in the description and couldn't have been unnoticed by GP.. It sure would be great if there were a little bit of amplifying info such as any glaring issues that would go beyond just a little tinkering to get something up and running. I don't know how much the fix might cost (looks like overhauled c-12's sell in the 6k range), but with any luck the total cost will be less than a lot of the runners went for. I know I overpaid for one, and that doesn't mean there won't be major issues when I get it. I can't imagine they would get rid of ones that were in all around great shape..... I don't know much about the ground side but on the aviation side the Marines used their stuff until it couldn't be used much more.

Last edited:

Navy dude

Considering I’m almost home driving mine from Yermo cali to south of Atlanta it’s a beast but open your pockets. Non runners aren’t running for a reason, EVERY gp MTVR gets fluids checked, batteries, and driven before posting. If it don’t run be prepared to spend upwards of 10,000 easily as there isn’t a single component cheap on them

Awesome, what are your impressions driving it compared to a 5 ton? do you notice much difference in handling, power, etc?

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Elijah95,

Why did you buy a truck from CA when you live in Georgia and they sell the MTVR there too?

BTW, that is a great photo. Thanks!

Jon

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Elijah95,

Why did you buy a truck from CA when you live in Georgia and they sell the MTVR there too?

BTW, that is a great photo. Thanks!

Jon
So the truck ran out great on the trip! It handles so much better than my m923a2 much more power, better brakes, better ride, factory air ride seat, Amber was more comfortable as a passenger, the jake brake is very nice, the entire truck is highly functional and perfect for getting the job done. The cab is quiet and comfortable, it was designed to do EVERYTHING a 5 ton could do but 5x better and it shows! All of these are lacking in maintenance so that is to be considered and parts are significantly higher but worth it. Truck averaged 5.7 mpg at 65mph weighing in at 53k

The reason I bough a Cali truck was here In Georgia they have a lot of nice runners down there but it’s pissing me off that they are intentionally selling 1 runner and 4 non-runners every week so everyone fights tooth and nail over a single runner that’s missing assorted parts with warning lights on and tires less than 20% paying $15,000++++ for them before fees and it’s RIDICULOUS. Shoot most Georgia trucks were missing the turret hole cover too which means they’ve been rained on for months, also rust, it turned me sour. Their marketing is on point for milking every single penny out of a truck.

I just wasn’t willing to spend more than 10k for a runner missing parts. I wanted a complete ready-to-roll truck in the <15k price range even if I had to travel the entire country.

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW! Elijah95 lots of good into, thanks! I was going to ask about the MPG because I plan to drive mine from Barstow to Salt Lake City. So empty maybe the truck will get 6+ MPG. Not too bad in my opinion.

I agree with you about the GA trucks VS the CA trucks. I would rather have a truck from a dry place than from a wet place.

Jon

Navy dude

Elijah or anyone else.... can anyone give me dimensions of the mtvr? I have a hangar that I am going to configure to park one. I have seen about 26 long? Can anyone confirm the length and height? I have 30' deep and 12' door height, would like to know if the exhaust stack will clear and if I have to move shelves out of the back. Width is less important but I am curious what they are with/without mirrors Thanks!

Last edited:

Navy dude

Howdy,

Go to the horses mouth for info.

Oshkosh defense vehicles mtvr-mk23-and-mk25-standard-cargo-truck

Product sheet and MTVR brochure
Thank you for posting that..... although I have seen it and I can't find exact dimensions anywhere. I have seen discussion on it but I have never seen concrete height measurements including the stack. Ultimately I suppose it comes off easily enough or I can modify but hoping someone who has one could throw a tape on it.....

Nomadic

Thank you for posting that..... although I have seen it and I can't find exact dimensions anywhere. I have seen discussion on it but I have never seen concrete height measurements including the stack. Ultimately I suppose it comes off easily enough or I can modify but hoping someone who has one could throw a tape on it.....
They have the dimensions listed on the Product Sheet link. https://oshkoshdefense.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/MTVR_StndCargo_SS_6-13-11.pdf

Nomadic

Ah, thanks guys, I stand corrected.....
The width is quite impressive. Out in Utah dispersed camping in the National Forest, I went hiking on a 4X4 trail and took a tape measure to see how wide of a truck I could get in there. The narrowest part of the trail that looked like a jeep only section was 9'. Tree on each side and the road was dug into the ground. Most sections were 10' or more, but it looked like a narrow trail on foot. It looks like the MTVR would have fit as it is only 8.1' wide. I didn't measure the hight of the tree branches though ;) I want one of these MTVR's to live out of in the country. It would be bad ass to drive around in one out here.

patogarza

Hey, has anybody been able to get on-road plates for an mk-23? Of course, I bought one without checking first, and I'm in the process of turning it into a monster overlander RV, but I don't see how I can get around this (I'm in TX):
(a)Except as provided by Subsections (b) and (c), a person may not register a former military vehicle designated for off-highway use, with or without design alterations, for operation on a public highway.
(b)A former military vehicle may be registered for on-road use if the vehicle:
(1)is a high mobility multipurpose wheeled vehicle designated for off-highway use; and
(2)has a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 10,000 pounds.
(c)A former military vehicle issued specialty license plates under Section 504.502 (Certain Exhibition Vehicles) may be operated on a public highway in accordance with that section.

Section (c) talks about the 25-year-old or older vehicles, so that's not the way.

Are there any States that allow it? Can I just register it over there?

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks