• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying a MK23...Am I making the right decision?

Efituned

So in the past I've had a few hobby vehicles, a couple CUCV's and a HMMWV. I was going to buy a 5-ton, but then the 7-tons were released.

I figured there would be more interested in these trucks, but seems like they're not that popular. Am I missing something?

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So in the past I've had a few hobby vehicles, a couple CUCV's and a HMMWV. I was going to buy a 5-ton, but then the 7-tons were released.

I figured there would be more interested in these trucks, but seems like they're not that popular. Am I missing something?
Take your pick:

• Recently released, not many in civilian hands.
  • Not produced in numbers like the M939 series.
  • Parts may be hard to find.
  • Electronics mean complications. Not a lot of troubleshooting issue in the MV community for now.
  • Most people think a 2.5 ton truck to be "big" then they see a 5 ton..now check a 7 ton.
  • Bigger the truck the bigger the maintenance.

Efituned

I have MTVR Dump. I have a MK30.
What kind of rpm's are you seeing running ~55mph?
Is it engine limited to 65mph or governed?
With yours being a dump, do you even have a pintle hitch? I'd like to know the height of the hitch.
If you don't mine me asking, how much is insurance?
Any major repair problems?

Bhpdbrad

One major issue I'm wondering about - specific to the 7-tons and growlers being offered now at auction - is that they are listed as "tactical vehicles"; i.e. for off road only. Will this turn into another round of title challenges (like the HMMWV's) and workarounds that may bring all licensing of MV's into question again? Just going to eat my popcorn and watch for now.

Efituned

One major issue I'm wondering about - specific to the 7-tons and growlers being offered now at auction - is that they are listed as "tactical vehicles"; i.e. for off road only. Will this turn into another round of title challenges (like the HMMWV's) and workarounds that may bring all licensing of MV's into question again? Just going to eat my popcorn and watch for now.
What's the workaround for the 5-ton's? Like what comes up at like State Farm when trying to insure a 5-ton?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's correct - I have my 5-ton licensed/registered. I was specifically referring to the 7-tons and growlers that are listed as "tactical" (off-road use).
The MTVRs come out with off-road-use-only titles? Is that what you mean by "tactical (off-road use)?"

jmb6741

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am very interested in a dump version, do you have any pics of it and where did you find that rare bird?

smittyjr355

What kind of rpm's are you seeing running ~55mph?
Is it engine limited to 65mph or governed?
With yours being a dump, do you even have a pintle hitch? I'd like to know the height of the hitch.
If you don't mine me asking, how much is insurance?
Any major repair problems?
Yes you wont be taking a MTVR much over 65 mph. My truck does have a pintle hitch (I will have to measure height). My truck is insured on a farm policy so it is lumped in. No major problems to speak of.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know if they come out with an off-road-use-only stipulation? I have seen this claimed, but I can't find this stated on the GP website.

bachman502

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The downside to them is they are all to new for antique tags in most states. Might get pretty expensive with normal tags or truck tags.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks