• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying a MK23...Am I making the right decision?

Mustangsud

Hey, has anybody been able to get on-road plates for an mk-23? Of course, I bought one without checking first, and I'm in the process of turning it into a monster overlander RV, but I don't see how I can get around this (I'm in TX):
(a)Except as provided by Subsections (b) and (c), a person may not register a former military vehicle designated for off-highway use, with or without design alterations, for operation on a public highway.
(b)A former military vehicle may be registered for on-road use if the vehicle:
(1)is a high mobility multipurpose wheeled vehicle designated for off-highway use; and
(2)has a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 10,000 pounds.
(c)A former military vehicle issued specialty license plates under Section 504.502 (Certain Exhibition Vehicles) may be operated on a public highway in accordance with that section.

Section (c) talks about the 25-year-old or older vehicles, so that's not the way.

Are there any States that allow it? Can I just register it over there?

Cheers
We are in TX and have ours fully registered with plates. We just got it inspected and took the the 97 form with an application for title to the county office.

Attachments

patogarza

We are in TX and have ours fully registered with plates. We just got it inspected and took the the 97 form with an application for title to the county office.
This makes me feel much better. I'm just starting out the bonded title process. If I get stuck I'll circle back and ask you which county. Many thanks!!

MTVR

Hey, has anybody been able to get on-road plates for an mk-23? Of course, I bought one without checking first, and I'm in the process of turning it into a monster overlander RV, but I don't see how I can get around this (I'm in TX):
(a)Except as provided by Subsections (b) and (c), a person may not register a former military vehicle designated for off-highway use, with or without design alterations, for operation on a public highway.
(b)A former military vehicle may be registered for on-road use if the vehicle:
(1)is a high mobility multipurpose wheeled vehicle designated for off-highway use; and
(2)has a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 10,000 pounds.
(c)A former military vehicle issued specialty license plates under Section 504.502 (Certain Exhibition Vehicles) may be operated on a public highway in accordance with that section.

Section (c) talks about the 25-year-old or older vehicles, so that's not the way.

Are there any States that allow it? Can I just register it over there?

Cheers
Texas form VTR-135 makes no mention of the 25 year thing.

What law is it that you are concerned about (the 25 year thing).

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I believe he's confusing the requirement for antique age registration vs FMV registration which are separate things.

Where are you located in Texas? We need a city as per site rules. Also Gig'em! 12'

patogarza

Texas Transportation Code § 504.502. Certain Exhibition Vehicles

So the general rule is "a person may not register a former military vehicle designated for off-highway use, with or without design alterations, for operation on a public highway"

One of the exceptions is the "25 year old thing" I was referring to, subsection (c) of Sec. 502.141. This subsection sends you to 504.502, which says:
______
(a) The department shall issue specialty license plates for a passenger car, truck, motorcycle, bus, or former military vehicle that:

(1) is at least 25 years old, if the vehicle is a passenger car, truck, motorcycle, or bus;

(2) is a collector's item;

(3) is used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades, and other functions of public interest and is not used for regular transportation;  and

(4) does not carry advertising.
_____

I'm thinking they don't interpret the mk23 to be designated for off-hwy use, at least maybe not 100% off-hwyand maybe that's why they issue regular plates. We shall see what they think when I show up with all the paperwork. I'll keep this thread posted.

MTVR

Is a CDL license required for these?
It depends on the state, as well as the configuration of the vehicle. In most states, you need a CDL over 26,000 pounds GVWR, although most states will allow you to drive a motorhome over 26,000 pounds without a CDL (our MTVR is a motorhome).

In Texas specifically, you need a class B non-CDL to drive an MTVR.

MTVR

I'm thinking they don't interpret the mk23 to be designated for off-hwy use, at least maybe not 100% off-hwyand maybe that's why they issue regular plates. We shall see what they think when I show up with all the paperwork. I'll keep this thread posted.
I was thinking the same thing.

patogarza

I'm stuck trying to get insurance. Can you share your agent's number? I read some people went through progressive, so I called one of their agents and they said no.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm stuck trying to get insurance. Can you share your agent's number? I read some people went through progressive, so I called one of their agents and they said no.
You have to call Progressive Commercial. They will write you either a commercial or non-commercial policy, depending on what you want. Calling the regular Progressive number won't get you anywhere because they don't write policies for trucks that heavy. The weight is why you have to go through the commercial side.

patogarza

You have to call Progressive Commercial. They will write you either a commercial or non-commercial policy, depending on what you want. Calling the regular Progressive number won't get you anywhere because they don't write policies for trucks that heavy. The weight is why you have to go through the commercial side.
Yes, this worked, I called Progressive and when they ask for make, I said oskosh, and for model I said 7 ton flatbed truck, and it worked. I got turned away by a few other when instead of 7 ton flat bed I said MK23 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I even got turned away by Hagerty; they have a drawing of a friggin tank on their website. They said it has to be 20 years or older to be insurable by them.

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got my insurance through Progressive Commercial also. It costs me about $400 per year but I increased the liability so it is more expensive.

TomTill84

Was searching Google to find the RPM's the MTVR turns at 65mph, can't locate such info. A YouTube video looked like 2,200rpm. Is that right?

TomTill84

Where do you buy one? None of the regular sellers like Boyce,c&c even govliq, ironplanet have any. They all say sold. Or they are trying to sell half of a truck with 6 flats!!!

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where do you buy one? None of the regular sellers like Boyce,c&c even govliq, ironplanet have any. They all say sold. Or they are trying to sell half of a truck with 6 flats!!!
I will be selling mine in the next 4 to 6 weeks. I am installing an AC and working the kinks out of the air lockers first.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks