• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Helical cut hub gears?

broylz

I have an 86 m998. I have been looking at swapping to the helical cut hub gears when im rebuilding hubs. Has anyone done the swap to the helical cut gears? Is the only change the input and output gears themselves or would it require more like ctis spindles or something more?

Wire Fox

I'd be interested in finding this out, too, but I don't want to take the time to flip between part manuals to spot all the P/N differences. Anybody here actually done it?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don’t want the helical cut gears IMO, they are not as strong as the straight cut, only advantage is they are quieter.
the cost of the gears bears no fruit in the end...

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The helicals are stronger and quieter at speed, but they also introduce a side load. I don't know what all they were used in, the only one I heard of was the H1 Alpha, so if that's the case you'd be looking at a limited production part made specifically for the civilian side of things. If they were used in other models than the Alpha they might not be so bad to find, but, as with most things, if it isn't broke then don't fix it.

I found a thread over at the Hummer forums, one guy said he was involved with the racing side of things, the spur gears did just fine at 110+ mph off road.
Also found several reports that the reason for the helical gears had to do with noise and the rocking motion after you brake to a stop, due to the inboard brakes and clearance in the gears. Unless a slight reduction in noise and a little bit reduction in rocking after braking to a stop are the end goals, it's probably just not worth it.
https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h1-16/h1-geared-hubs-29066/

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got a private message correcting me, it appears the REV HMMWVs above serial 300000 got the helical gears, so will be a little more common.

That being said, I don't know how much of those parts have hit the civilian/surplus market, so still going to be very rare compared to the standard gears we're all used to.

To get back on topic, yours is an 86, so unless it's already been changed out you're likely to have either the 7.7 or 10k drive shafts, the helical cut gears use the 12k driveshafts, so they would need changed over as well.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
For either type of gear cut, the maximum speed is 767 MPH at sea level... THEN wait for the boom BOOM !!

Just messing with Ya TOBASH, CAMO

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks