• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dead Deuce

jimm1009

Well as a follow up I went out to the parking area for my truck while I am temporarily living in old downtown Louisville.
I reconnected the new batteries to fire up the truck since it has been two weeks and with only master switch on I found that the
heater blower motor will run without the master switch being selected. Sooooo, in a nut shell, when those kids were sitting in the
seats, one of them flipped the blower motor on low and I did not hear it so the blower ran on low until the batteries were completely
discharged.
First of all I won't let kids sit in my truck unless I have a lock on the parking brake and a keyed mater switch. Secondly, I will either
put an idiot light in the circuit for the blower motor to visually indicate when it is running or I will put that on a relay so I can
not draw power until such time that the master is turned on.
Now to engineer a parking brake lock and find a keyed master switch that is not made out of solid gold as some seem to be priced at.

Thank you so much fellow brother and sister MVers. I really appreciate all the feedback and related stories.
jimm1009 (Jim)

The Green Tomato

Hay jimm1009, just a quick thought, I know you got it all figured out now but you might consider a solar trickle charger. You have to make one because I don't think there is one that is for a 24 volt system, but I made mine and it makes sure the batteries stay charged, especially if you don't drive her much. I mounted mine on the cab top above the passenger's side and bolted the charge controller behind the seat to the wall. The controller tells me what the batteries are charged at all the time. Not very expensive, I think it was about $50 for the cells and the controller off ebay. Glad you got her running! PS Napa has a keyed master switch part number KS6040. I have it in mine and it works great. You will have to connect some wires together since there are originally four and there are only two screw points on the back. Sorry I'm not sure which ones go together since I didn't do mine but I know it works. Questions let me know.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

Connect the heater power feed wire that provides power to the switch to wire #55 with a 3 way " Y" connector near the flame heater switch. Make sure you connect to the leg of 55 that powers up when the master switch is turned on. One side is hot when the master is on, and one leg goes from flame heater switch to the engine.

JCKnife

Yes my Deuce had a "Solargizer" brand 24v trickle charger when I bought it of KY National Guard base in Frankfort. They are still available looks like (though a bit pricey)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks