• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dongfeng cummins engines??? Are all cumins engines made in China?

Philratcliffe

I have an issue with my only running 002 so want to buy a generator immediately locally as my container won’t arrive for a month or so and my hotel is full up right now.
I’m looking at a cummins powered 25 kw genset with a 4B3.9-G12. It has a Stamford generator head and burns 2gph at max load

The China built cummins engine concerns me tho! Are all cummins made in China now?
Thanks for any info.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just came back from the Philippines, and Cummins sells several smaller Deisel engines there that are marked made in China. There were 2 that looked like they were right out of a new Dodge (Ram) truck, the normally aspirated engine produced 150hp, and the turbocharged engine was 200hp. I doubt that the Cummins engine that would be in your new Peterbilt would say "made in China".

Philratcliffe

I just came back from the Philippines, and Cummins sells several smaller Deisel engines there that are marked made in China. There were 2 that looked like they were right out of a new Dodge (Ram) truck, the normally aspirated engine produced 150hp, and the turbocharged engine was 200hp. I doubt that the Cummins engine that would be in your new Peterbilt would say "made in China".
It looks like they are only making the smaller engines in other countries

But due to that. I’m buying a pair of small kohler 5kw gasoline gensets for back ups until my container arrives. I really like the 30kw kohler with the John Deere 3 cyl turbo wet sleeve engine. Thanks for the info guys

Smokindodge

There are several foundries they cast at around the world. Most all of the ram truck 6.7’s are Chinese as well as a large portion of ISXs and X15s.

Being made in China isn’t the critical part. Who sets the acceptable tolerance is, and mother Cummins handles that business close to the chest.

Long time cummins fan and once an employee......

Philratcliffe

There are several foundries they cast at around the world. Most all of the ram truck 6.7’s are Chinese as well as a large portion of ISXs and X15s.

Being made in China isn’t the critical part. Who sets the acceptable tolerance is, and mother Cummins handles that business close to the chest.

Long time cummins fan and once an employee......
I know cummins engines go the distance but the China version isn’t tier 4 and that’s why they build them there for sales out side the USA and our emission laws. I’m going with the kohler 30kw with the 3 cyl 2.9 turbo John Deere. The us givernment uses it in the 805s and they test things and analyze them from every aspect. The JD makes about 20 more hp than the cummins amd will run at 30% with out wet stacking and gets better fuel economy. I will run these 12 hours a day 365 days a year. Actually when I finish my build out I will buy a big tier 4 for night time too I just won’t know what size genset I will need until I finish all our construction Thanks for the info guys

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a R2.8 Cummins (ISF 2.8 ) for a truck repower project. Lot of China made parts. R2.8 assembly is suppose to happen in the US. The engine has a generally good reputation. For reference, this is one of their joint-venture factories in China.

[youtube]QJDdoKT2U28[\youtube]

dependable

Lets hope they do not go down the same road as Cat. They set up an engine plant in China around 2000 to make equipment engines. They were reportedly OK. Then when the Cat people left and stopped checking, they went down hill with the quality control. So the story goes on equipment forums anyway.

I had a skid steer engine that fell in that lot. The oil pump cracked with no warning and it spun a bearing, only 1,500 hrs on a well maintained motor. Cat quietly stopped using that motor (3034) and most of them failed out of warranty, like mine.

Ue413

Virtually all OEM's are making engines in China. (From lawn mower engines to high hp off road equipment engines) As a note, China is forcing equipment manufacturers to transition to "NR4" emissions levels (our IT4 level) I believe in July of 2020. Don't know how low of power the regulation applies to.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Lets hope they do not go down the same road as Cat. They set up an engine plant in China around 2000 to make equipment engines. They were reportedly OK. Then when the Cat people left and stopped checking, they went down hill with the quality control. So the story goes on equipment forums anyway.

I had a skid steer engine that fell in that lot. The oil pump cracked with no warning and it spun a bearing, only 1,500 hrs on a well maintained motor. Cat quietly stopped using that motor (3034) and most of them failed out of warranty, like mine.
CAT had the same issue in their engine blocks that were cast in France. especially on the 3126 engines

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks