• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hub Leak

nspctr1

I removed the cover on the back of the hub to install the Blue Hummer spindle nut kit. I cleaned both mating surfaces and used the black RTV and after two days I noticed fluid leaking from the cap. I removed it, cleaned it and reset it and it leaked again. I read somewhere that making a gasket for it and then applying the RTV helps but all it did was slow the leak down. Anyone else have this issue? What can I do to stop it from leaking?

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Some of those "RTV"s don't play well with gear oil. I have seen where a black RTV was used to seal a differential having issues you describe after a week later.

Check the label for compatibility, CAMO

nspctr1

The label says it’s compatible with oils etc. but, you never know.
As far as having lumps, I guess it’s possible but I got a decent small bead of bleed out around the perimeter. Maybe I’ll try a different sealant

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Not making a PLUG for Permatex. They have over a hundred kinds of sealants to stick, seal, goop up and get on your clothes. Could be a marketing plan or just maybe a chemical reason ???
> https://www.permatex.com/product-category/gasketing/ <

They all cost about the same, so there must be some science behind it IMO?? (except thread lock. that stuff is solid gold $$$)

Check their "Gasket Makers" line. Lots to read up on. Application notes / cure times for Oils, fuels, ATF's, hot, cold, etc.

Not so sure there's a slather it on, tighten bolts and go, all in one tube. (not saying there isn't or anyone has done that... OH no not me. well maybe once, OK twice. LOL)

It's got to smell bad and burn your eyes to work, CAMO

Last edited:

nspctr1

This is true. I actually do the opposite. I put a nice little bead that when compressed I get about a 1/8” bead that will bleed out. Or ****, maybe that’s too much? Anyway, I actually used the black perma tex that advertises for use with oils etc. it did slow down but didn’t stop it

MattNC

I used permatex "right stuff" that can be applied and is ready for oil immediately (I used the 1 min formulation). That stuff is expensive but works great and saves a lot of time and hassle of waiting for others to set up. Just don't get the fancy version with the plastic trigger device, I have had a majority of those break and not work as others have noted online. Just get the toothpaste tube shaped one or the can with a screw on tip. I also keep a tube in my toolbox on trips as a great emergency fix. I've used it in lots of places all the way up to emergency fixing a leaking thermostat housing. Its rated for contact with nearly everything, just be ready to work once you apply as it has something like a 5 min window of workability once applied to a surface.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks