• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First Deuce owner

Nomad1

Have you checked the winch out?Getting the factory winch is major score
Sorry it took so long. I finally got it picked up. I have attached a couple of photos but plan to add more. It does need some work but I think I would to if I were in it's situation. Right off the bat I discovered that I had 2 flats on the passenger intermediate side. I managed to air up the outside one but the inside one only hissed back. I am guessing that the tube is busted. Brakes are great! It came with a cab top that appears as if someone has stood on it, but that's ok, it adds character. The cab has lights on the front of it, I am guessing that these were added as an after service feature. The only major issues, besides the tire, that I have noticed is that the light switch does not activate the lights and the windshield wiper motor do not engage. I have read a few post already and have plans to inspect them both further in the next few days. It did have all but one bow and has some rust on the passenger rocker. Almost everyone I looked at in KY had that issue. I am pleased with it. But here is what you have been waiting for!

View attachment 776432View attachment 776433

fasttruck

If you plan to use the winch for something more aggressive than a decoration think about getting some spare issue shear pins and a machinist's hammer and punch which will be required to change out a broken pin. This is a character building issue when the truck is stuck in mud up to the headlights. The BII for a winch equipped truck includes a utility chain and a snatch block, in this case one with a 6" sheave. One block is good and two is better. I used to attach the hook to the lifting ring on the front bumper with a shackle so it would not fall off and drag in the street. Winch should be put away with the drum clutch disengaged as you will probably want to free spool the cable when it is next used. The drum lock will keep the drum from rotating while traveling. Remember to release it to use the winch.M818WW.jpg The drum has a "dog" clutch which will require the opposing dogs to be aligned to engage the clutch. Do not put a pipe on the clutch handle and force it. Jiggle the drum.

rustystud

Sorry it took so long. I finally got it picked up. I have attached a couple of photos but plan to add more. It does need some work but I think I would to if I were in it's situation. Right off the bat I discovered that I had 2 flats on the passenger intermediate side. I managed to air up the outside one but the inside one only hissed back. I am guessing that the tube is busted. Brakes are great! It came with a cab top that appears as if someone has stood on it, but that's ok, it adds character. The cab has lights on the front of it, I am guessing that these were added as an after service feature. The only major issues, besides the tire, that I have noticed is that the light switch does not activate the lights and the windshield wiper motor do not engage. I have read a few post already and have plans to inspect them both further in the next few days. It did have all but one bow and has some rust on the passenger rocker. Almost everyone I looked at in KY had that issue. I am pleased with it. But here is what you have been waiting for!

View attachment 776432View attachment 776433
Even though the picture of you is pretty hazy, I can still see that grin on your face !
Welcome to the "Green Madness" !!!
Sorry, it only gets worse over time :shock: .

ROARKY

Purveyor of rusty iron
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a tube to change so I haven’t taken her out yet. I am going through each item to ensure that we are good to go before she hits the road for grocery getting use. The winch hasn’t been tested yet but I will in the future. I plan to attach a video once I figure that part out.

Oerthedge21

The winch is pretty straightforward, as long as you keep your hands out of it. Pulled a 3ft wide tree down without even touching the throttle in mine. You'll love the truck, mine just coated me ~1k$ in a rebuild after I bought it and I still love the thing.

The Green Tomato

Hay welcome! Nice looking truck! Get ready for some looks and finger pointing and like frank8003 said, have fun going slow it takes some getting use to but you always seam to meet the guy that just went around you at the next light!

fasttruck

Reference post 25: read the applicable section of TM 9-2320-209-10, the operators manual, for instructions on how to operate the winch. The controls that require manipulation include: the clutch pedal, pto lever in cab, drum lock and drum clutch controls on winch itself. Two people are usually required to operate the winch: a person in the cab to manage the pto and an observer in front to make sure the cable spools up correctly and you do not suck the hook on the end of the cable into the fairlead on the winch. The winch is started and stopped with the clutch pedal in the cab. The drum clutch is there to release the drum to free spool the cable.

ROARKY

Purveyor of rusty iron
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the valuable information! I noticed something on my truck. I have a copper line that runs from under the passenger side of the truck by the air filter. It has a plug in the end of it but looks like it may have went somewhere else at one time. I also noticed that the top of the fuel tank and some of the fuel lines by the throttle appear to have diesel fuel on them. Not soaked but just wet looking. I will try and post some more pics soon.

ROARKY

Purveyor of rusty iron
Steel Soldiers Supporter
More pics: I have also posted the link for the video. I have a lot of work to do but, it is something that I have wanted to do for a long time. If you see anything in the video that I need to address immediately, please let me know. I teach and am a minister so time isn't always on my side. Enjoy!
IMG_6557.jpgIMG_6558.jpgIMG_6559.jpgIMG_6560.jpghttps://youtu.be/ffrU6gD1gjE

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the valuable information! I noticed something on my truck. I have a copper line that runs from under the passenger side of the truck by the air filter. It has a plug in the end of it but looks like it may have went somewhere else at one time. I also noticed that the top of the fuel tank and some of the fuel lines by the throttle appear to have diesel fuel on them. Not soaked but just wet looking. I will try and post some more pics soon.
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?42567-Master-Cylinder-Vent-Line-vs-Breather

Maybe post #9 helps with the mysterious copper line.

Your engine bay needs a good washing. Then run the truck and check for leaks. It is hard to tell when there are years of gunk in there. I would plan on replacing the fuel return lines (between the injectors and the long line back to the IP) with DOT air line and make sure the ends all have brass inserts in them. If you plan to do a spin-on fuel filter upgrade, then that is the time to replace the old fuel lines as well, rather than messing with them and trying to get them to seal again. Just my 5cents.

Last edited:

ROARKY

Purveyor of rusty iron
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The copper tube appears to run toward the air tanks in the rear. You are right on cleaning everything. I also have considered putting new wire into several places because the sheath is cracked and coming apart. In another thread, I wrote about how my horn went off on me after replacing the light switch. That was an adventure! I am getting a tube replaced tomorrow and it should be good to go mechanically. It has a little rust but nothing me and my plasma cutter and mig can't tackle over time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks