• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Intermittent turn signals

Hmmv4me

I have had some issues with my turn signals. When I first start up and fro about the first 20 minutes of driving, the turn signals will not always work. After that they work great. The lights come on, seems like the flasher just doesn't go on and off. Before I start tossing money at the problem, just thought I would get some opinions from you guys. I have disconnected the flasher module and blew out the connector, no change. I ran a ground to the flasher and turn switch, no change. I am using cheap $50 Wally World batteries instead of the originals, not sure if that could affect anything though. Thoughts?

On another topic, I have a self canceling switch installed but there is nothing on the wheel to shut it off. Looking at the column on my 90 M998, I am not seeing anywhere to install the canceling ring. Does the steering wheel need to be changed out? Column?

Thanks in advance.

papakb

Sounds to me like the ground lead on the flasher unit isn't making good contact and after moving around a little bit finally does. You didn't include much information to work from like whether or not you have incandescent lamps or LEDs or if any changes have been made to the system recently that might help diagnose your problem.

Cancelling ring mounts on the steering wheel, not the column.

mturner2003

Just in case you didn't know, the head lights have to be on for the turn signals to work. When I first got mine, I was like "WTF, they worked last night?" Then figured it out.

However, with that said, mine are finicky, even when the headlights are turned on. I have to wiggle the switch until it makes contact.

So, what I do now is pull the turn signal level so that it is engaged, then wiggle the switch until I see the green turn signal light indicator start flashing. I then know I have good contact. I have to do this even after having pulled it 2 times, cleaned with Deoxit and dielectric grease.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Hmmv4me

Since when I move the turn lever manually the front and rear blinkers come on and shut off, I am going to do a flasher box and hope for the best.

Thanks for all of your help and input.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks