• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Maxing out air filter indicator

Double T

Just put 6.5 Turbo and 4l80 in. starts and runs great. The problem I'm having is any more throttle then half throttle and the filter restriction indicator starts to climb. Full throttle and I can suck it to the top in about 5 sec. Also I notice after periods of long acceleration I get a smell of burning oil when I get to a stop light but only for a couple seconds and then it goes away. Not sure if I am sucking oil from the CDR valve since the air filter indicator is at about 50%. I have installed 2 new filters and they both do the same. Full throttle I'm at about 12lbs boost. Any one have any thoughts?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should not be any issue....I would check for a restriction in the hose from the filter minder to the air filter nipple.
if nothing, maybe even a bad gauge.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you checked to make sure nothing is blocking the intake before the air filter?

papakb

That indicator is basically a vacuum gauge that indicates the - pressure in the air filter housing. If it's rising to the top when you give it gas it indicates something is restricting the air that's getting to the filter. Got a birds nest in the fording stack?

dilvoy

If you are not using the air filter element that is correct for the Turbo Trucks, you have an overly restrictive air filter in place. Try removing the filter and running without to see any change for a quick test of things.

Double T

Indicator line seems to be clear. I took the air filter box off and the elbow that goes to the stack. It was full of crap before I did the swap but clean now. Im not sure what the tornado mod is and will search. I do not have a k&N filter but it is the filter from the stock 6.2. Ill try pulling it and see what it does. I didn't think about a different filter for the turbo. Truck came with a bunch of spares and have been using them. Thank you guys for the trouble shooting ideas. Will post any findings.

Double T

I think the snorkel cap was sitting too low. Cap installed 12psi boost and filter indicator maxed out. Cap removed 15psi and no movement on indicator. Repeat test 3 time and same results. Looks like it is time to build a snorkel. Again I appreciated everyones thoughts. Thanks again.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Tornado mod is an add on pre cleaner in place on the intake bonnet / cap. Manufacturer (various) claim increased dust and debris catching / cleaning thru a self powered spinning of a turbo fan wheel / vortex, expelling dirt and sending cleaner air down the pipe to regular filter.

They have been around for a long time. I have no test data but if it worked as advertised, I would think every HUMMWV would have had one. ???

If it sounds like playing card in the bike spokes only TURBO, I want one, CAMO

Last edited:

sue

The “tornado”? Mod is cutting out a piece
metal before the filter to help it flow more
air. I think if you look up Utube you can do
a search of it. Did it to ours and agree with
the theory.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks