• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member from Mattoon, IL. Interested in a M1088 to mount my truck camper.

TGRCAT

Hi to all!

I am new to military trucks, but owned a F8000 CAT 3208 Tandem dump truck in the past. I'm a semi tanker driver and really enjoy trucks.

I have a new truck camper on my crew cab 2011 F250 6.7 which puts me over the gvwr by about 2,500 lbs. I'm thinking about purchasing a 6x6 and having the camper mounted right to the frame (if possible) or installing a flatbed.

My goal is to keep the overall height as low as possible. The F250 bed is 36" and that results in an 11' top of roof elevation (12' including AC unit).

Any suggestions?

David

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from ND TGRCAT your plan sounds interesting on the camper on a 1088 but mounting it DIRECTLY to the frame is going to be a very potential problem for you. Because all of these trucks have a fairly high degree of offroad ability there is a fair amount of frame flex built into them to help in keeping tires ON THE GROUND for more traction which is good but eliminated anything of size being mounted directly to the frame of the truck, there are lots of pretty creative ways to isolate your camper from this flexing, I would suggest you look at these sections of information on this site it could save you a whole lot of added work!
Karl

Reactions: 98G

TGRCAT

Thanks for the response!

I did further research and came to that conclusion.
I'm now wondering if a low profile bed would work.
My goal is to be able to off-grid but nothing extreme since the camper structure is not designed for that. 4x4 would be adequate but the 6x6s look badass!

In2Fords

Sounds like a decent plan but why a 6x6?
I'm planning the same thing with a 4x4, just bought a 1078 and dropping a slide in camper in the stock bed.
Being in Hawaii I don't have Access to any campers....
It seems most are 8' tall exterior, how is that split up over the cab? Is the over cab portion more offer less then 4'?

TGRCAT

Sounds like a decent plan but why a 6x6?
I'm planning the same thing with a 4x4, just bought a 1078 and dropping a slide in camper in the stock bed.
Being in Hawaii I don't have Access to any campers....
It seems most are 8' tall exterior, how is that split up over the cab? Is the over cab portion more offer less then 4'?
The overcab section cantilevers 7'-9" out to the front.
It is 4' from the bottom of the camper to the underside of the overhang.

I think the 6x6 looks cool although the 4x4 would be a nice choice.

In2Fords

Nice, so assuming 8' exterior height, 4' up to can over, then another 4' keep at just under the 13'6"

Now if you set this on a sliding rail system where the bed rails would normally sit, you could move this out of the way when lifting the cab.....

TGRCAT

Nice, so assuming 8' exterior height, 4' up to can over, then another 4' keep at just under the 13'6"

Now if you set this on a sliding rail system where the bed rails would normally sit, you could move this out of the way when lifting the cab.....
I'm 36" from ground to pickup bed height and the roof elevation is at 11'. I give it another 1' for AC & Roof antenna.

In2Fords

Ok, so over all 9 feet, yeah, the only way to make it work on a fmtv is to remove the bed. From what I understand the bed is 5 feet from ground, but the bed and subframe are about a foot, so that would work good for you but you may need to put it on backwards, it won't fit over the cab and I'm not sure if you have enough bed to scoot it back away from cab?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks