• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr Paint Code - Home Depot Update 2019

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a heads up to the MV community and those who use Home Depot to mix their military color paints. I was informed by the paint employee that Home Depot is migrating away from their dedicated computer program and will be using a web browser based program to mix paints starting this Fall. This browser based program does not allow searching by "Competitors" for "Federal Standard" colors that we use to mix our colors. You must have either a bar-code or paint formula to make your color and it will not be stored for future use unless you open a business account with them. I asked him to print the paint labels so I could scan them for future use he said said the machine will not create a scannable bar code unless the paint is made.

I consulted with the paint department team and managed to still use the old system to make the paint I needed that day. They said the roll out of this new system will be gradual but all stores have access to it now and are encouraged to use it. They will decommission the old system eventually and expect by end of the year. I created a business account and saved the known Behr colors listed in this thread to keep track of them for personal use. If this change happens permanently I'll publish the business name/email that I saved them under here so anyone can reference it to find the Federal Standard color again without a code or label. I have no relationship to Behr and/or Home Depot, I gain nothing from this, I just use their paint enough and want consistent color results.

1200px-TheHomeDepot.svg.jpgultra-pure-white-behr-premium-plus-paint-colors-405001-64_1000.jpg

Code for reference if anyone wants to make and save their own list at Home Depot.
White...several
DesertTan 686A....33446
Sand ..................33303
Dark Sandstone.....33510
Earth Yellow..........33245
Field Drab.............33105
Earth Red.............31090
Brown 383............30051
Olive Drab............34088
Light Green...........34089
Green 383.............34094
Dark Green............34082
Forest Green.........34086
Black...................37030
Aircraft Gray.........36300
Aircraft Black.........37031
Aircraft Green........34031
Interior Seafoam Green.........24533

http://www.rapcoparts.com/manuals.html - Paint prices
http://www.rapcoparts.com/padenew.html - Paint Colors

http://olive-drab.com/od_mvg_odpaint.php

View FS Colors
http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=33105

Another paint site:
http://www.milspeccoating.com/Federal-Standard-595-Colors-s/41.htm

Tip from MWMules:

UP Date 4/9/16
Remember a lot of the older posts with Behr #'s on the lids are not true FS they were color matched, so start with a clean slate.
Tell the Home Depot clerk the list of the FS codes in the HD paint computer is found by going under "Competitor Color look up" and selecting Federal Standard as the manufacturer then have them enter just the five number code.

WWIILBird

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to to buy black 37030 from Home Depot, is there any update on what I should be telling the paint person on how to look up the code with their new paint code system? Also anyone have recommended thinning process for an HVLP sprayer?

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to to buy black 37030 from Home Depot, is there any update on what I should be telling the paint person on how to look up the code with their new paint code system? Also anyone have recommended thinning process for an HVLP sprayer?
I haven't made paint since this post. Walk them through the usual steps "competitor" -> "Federal Standard" -> color number and if they can't find it they're using the new system. Ask them to use the old one if they still have access to it. As for the HVLP thinning I don't have experience with that one.

Crapgame

Should we be posting photos of paint can lids with the tint formulas here for future reference? One can at least take in the tint ratios from the old system FSC color matches, right?

W427

You must have either a bar-code or paint formula to make your color …
Should we be posting photos of paint can lids with the tint formulas here for future reference?
Agreed. Anyone that has pruchased this paint please post images of the barcode, or at least the printed formula for HD employees to successfully use without the "old system". My local store says they cannot help me without them. Thanks!

WWIILBird

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My black came out nice. They recommended a thinner that was in a quart bottle that looked like milk which I mixed into the paint and sprayed using an HVLP gun. Very easy. Paint was a bit pricey around $45 a gallon. I used two on my deuce.
43E09FBB-74D1-486F-ADF7-2427531A83C3.jpeg

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All labels were generously made by my paint guy on his own initiative but need to be verified as accurate (he wrote the colors on the back of each label). I've made the 686 Tan, 383 Green, 383 Brown, and Black from the saved profiles in the system and are verified good. Forest Green, Dark Green, and Aircraft Black have also been verified as accurate from the system.

Those wishing to expand the list are welcome to. We still need the various Olive Drab through the ages if anyone cares.

As of today I've seen that they've lost the ability to look up all competitors colors in the old system (the option is completely gone).

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome set! Any way to get the full color info for the 686 Tan (FS 33446)? I see the numbers you added, but not the formula colors used in the top "colorant" row. Thanks!
CLRNT CL EL(?) RI
07 6 0 2

The 3rd set I can make out the "E" clearly but the second letter is gone. Checking all other labels the only "E" is in "EL" so that must be it.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
I’m hunting USMC 34052 lusterless green for 1960s field marine M35s, anyone have a match?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHIEFSONN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First i would like to thank you for spending your time to post the paints. My question is ,Is any of the green paints that you posted good for the time frame of 1970 , that being the Vietnam conflict , As I have a m816 wrecker that l would like to paint that color. the color i believe was a brownish green.
hopefully i will still be able to purchase the paint from home depot.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
24087 Smi-Gloss Olive Drab may be what you're thinking of. No I don't have that on the list but if you can find it on here then have Home Depot make a scan and shake up a batch.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I went over to Sherwin williams industrial enamel. Oil based. Add hardener to it. Drys and cures in about 4 hours.

Reactions: NDT

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As of last week Home Depot was still able to pull the Federal Standard code for 383 green, fyi
My store wont. I just made 4 gallons 383 green and 4 gallons 686 tan from stored account info. I tried to cross reference the lusterless deep forest that another SS member was asking about but it wouldn't find it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks