• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 W/OW ....winch installation's ?

im sure someone has installed a winch on a A3 that didn't come with one so im asking how can this be done without breaking the bank ? I know is probably answered in another thread somewhere but I have not figured out how to maximize SS yet .....I have learned a lot so far as this is my first MV and I now feel like I should have done more research before I purchased my A3.....but I have learned my trucks limitations and I have no problem with the top speed of 53 ....I usually just stay around 45 anyway .... its my toy and me and my son love to cruise thru town in it . as for my wife ...she is probably still mad because I've had the truck for 6 months and she still won't get in it ...oh well ....

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
A 25,000lb 24v electric winch is $1100 shipped to your door NIB or about $1000 for a takeoff MRAP 18k warn winch.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Much easier and a lot cheaper to sell your A3 and buy another with a winch if you want a correct winch. I have an A3 with winch and it is fantastic. Much easier to use than an A2 with a winch.

rustystud

Please elaborate. How are they different?
For one the transmission is an automatic in the A3 so you need a different PTO. Second, the winch is Hydraulically driven. No shaft like the regular deuces. So you will need hydraulic hoses and valves. Third, you will need the actual A3 winch or adapt a regular deuce winch to use a hydraulic motor. Not too difficult, but still a pain. Fourth, you will need the cab accessories like the PTO cable and switches and of course all the control valves that go with the system. I'm sure I'm missing a thing or two.

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For one the transmission is an automatic in the A3 so you need a different PTO. Second, the winch is Hydraulically driven. No shaft like the regular deuces. So you will need hydraulic hoses and valves. Third, you will need the actual A3 winch or adapt a regular deuce winch to use a hydraulic motor. Not too difficult, but still a pain. Fourth, you will need the cab accessories like the PTO cable and switches and of course all the control valves that go with the system. I'm sure I'm missing a thing or two.
My question is "how are they easier to use than an A2 winch?"

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My question is "how are they easier to use than an A2 winch?"
Rusty implied this in his answer - it is a hydraulically driven winch, so the process of engaging, disengaging, and controlling is more sure footed than in the purely mechanical setup on an A2. What does that mean? Have you ever been busy winching in a A2 and trying to make sure you are in "LOW" but kept hitting one of the two "NEUTRAL" settings, operating a lever you can't see, just feel and need to click into notches you also cannot see but only feel?

Another difference is that the mechnical way has no way to interrupt power flow to the winch cable other than the operator or a mechanical part breaking (hopefully, the shear pin).

In a hydraulic system, you can set spring loaded valves to open a bypass when the load reaches a certain max amount and that's it. Winch stopped.
Hydraulic is a lot like electric, as far as ease of operation is concerned. Less little things to go wrong also make it a safer operation.
The principles of winching apply to all winches, regardless - these winches, used carelessly, can still maim or kill you.

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please elaborate. How are they different?
Cattlerepairman pretty much nailed it. Operating a hydraulic winch like comes in the A3 is very similar to using an electric winch. You simply sit in the cab and work a toggle switch to control the winch. Almost impossible to tear up the winch and much safer. The mechanical part of the A3 winch is identical to the A2 winch, just the means to drive and control it are different. It would probably cost you a lot of money to find, buy and install all of the components for an A3 winch. You can always try to locate someone on steel soldiers that has an A3 W/W and ask to look at it.

fasttruck

Replacing a shear pin on an A@ when the truck is stuck in mud up to the headlights is always a character building experience. Hope you brought a spare pin, a punch and a machinist's hammer too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks