• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with knocking sound

Lonnie

My truck has been sitting for for over a year.
I started building a new garage a while ago so the truck got ignored, but at least it got heated indoor storage.

This spring, I started back on the truck.... it needed a radiator, so while apart, I put in a new water pump, all belts hoses etc. Also put in fresh oil & filter.

Fast forward to today when got everything buttoned up & finally I started it (keep in mind I haven't heard it run for a year) & it has a loud knock.

The sound seems to come from the air compressor or that vicinity. I can feel it in the compressor & hear it through the radiator/dr side the loudest. I physically put my ear to the rocker covers & do not hear it.

It is impossible to isolate, as without it the injector pump does not turn so I can't run the engine.

Any ideas or possible issue with the accessory drive that could cause this?

Any advice is appreciated.

Lonnie

I let it idle until it built full pressure. Sound did not change. You notice it less with increased RPM, but it sounds like a typical diesel knocking sound, except it is not on the passenger side.

I will pull it outside tomorrow to eliminate any strange building harmonics.

Oil pressure is good, no exhaust smoke or anything odd.

Lonnie

I pulled it outside tonight & let it idle a while.
Although I still notice the sound, it is much quieter outside the garage.

The compressor still seems loud, but it got much quieter after the engine got warm.

I'm hoping that the new exhaust I just installed allowed me to concentrate on other noises that I never heard before.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks