• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie in Oregon

Gb1

Hello to the forum! Recently acquired a M200A1 trailer without the generator. A two wheeled version not 4. I plan to convert it to a water trailer to have on the property for fire suppression during slash burning or other fire emergencies.
The nameplate states a 5000 lb load. I was thinking about 550 gals x 8.3 lbs per gal = 4656 lbs which leaves 444 for tank, pump, hose, reel, plumbing and valves. I may need to cut back to 500 gals... we shall see.
The pintle hitch sits pretty high for a standard 4x4 receiver. I have seen higher ( bed height) hitches mounted on flatbeds.
Are there any limitations for two wheeled versions vs 4? Is it simply footprint pressure not less load capacity?
Any suggestions from those who have made water trailers?
Any recommendations for towing behind a pickup?
Anything else I should be aware of?

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard from Nevada. I'm sure some members will chime in and answer your questions. Good Luck with your project!

fasttruck

A 2 wheel version because someone removed the outside 2 tires ? I never saw a M200 born without 4 tires. What are you going to tow this with ? Trailer has air over hydraulic brakes and is designed to be compatible with an air braked truck such as a M35 or M54. Loaded to the max and towed with a pickup truck could result in bad things happening. This site is cluttered with posts from fire departments who want to carry 1200 gallons of water plus tools and a pump on a M35 and then wonder why the leading cause of LODD apparatus fatalities is tanker roll overs. At least the trailer has a lower center of gravity than a truck.

Gb1

I really don’t know if the tires were removed. That was a concern of mine which prompted my original question to the site. I know it’s a bit absurd, but I don’t have a tow vehicle yet. I was thinking about a 1 ton 4x4. The trailer with a 500 gal water tank will never leave our property and probably won’t be moving around too much.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks