• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2019 SoCal Fall Rally

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry for another late event posting, but starting a family and moving into a new house can really throw things off track.

This years Fall Rally will be held the weekend of October 11th - 13th

Everyone is welcome to hang out even if you have never been to an event or don't have a military vehicle. Come over and say hi.

Saltydeuce will be providing the rally with truck loads of firewood (I should say that he brings a couple of 5 ton loads not just a pickup load) to light up our night time gathering.

We will be having a convoy through the desert on Saturday around 11'ish which makes for real good time and enjoy the view. When we get back from that I'll be grilling up some beef and chicken tacos for everyone there.

Here are the coordinates for camp 35.139213,-117.05533 - Google Maps
I'll be marking off the campsite with cones so as to not disturb the surrounding plant life.

People like the water balloon fight at the event so we'll have that again or suggest something else. Keep in mind it's a family event so let it be something that everyone can participate in.

We will have the Crown Victoria Rally cars out there for everyone to enjoy (as long as you can pitch in a few bucks) How much? I will leave that up to you generous human people's to decide. Only requirement is that common sense be used while driving the rally cars and wearing a helmet. We have a helmet that we can use, but if you have one bring it.

Hope to see you guys out there.

saltydeuce

Sounds good. The m817. Is not going to be able to make it since I killed cylinder number 3. But the old salty m35a2 will be ready. Areready got a load of wood waiting to go into a truck.

saltydeuce

I thought of that but since I cought it early I dont want to kill cam or crank or anything like that oil is still black so a sleeve swap on number 3 and 4 will get this engine back to life

vvwilkins

Logistics Questions (1st timer here):
1. Assuming arrival on Friday is pretty wide open due to work schedules. I'd like to arrive before dark if possible.
2. Communication channels: Is there a preferred CB, GMRS or Amateur Radio channel that is monitored? I can support either (KM6OZT)
3. Does anyone roll up the 15 fwy from escondido through Elsinore/Corona? If so, I could potentially sync up with the caravan at Cajalco.
4. Aside from bringing food/beverages to support my crew - are there other items I can bring to support others? Water, Beer, etc...
Note: I once calculated that a 5ton is rated to carry 12,000 cans of 12oz beer (500 cases).
Note2: A 5ton can carry approx 6,728 bottles of 12oz beer (280 cases)
Now we know why I only bring cans when camping :)

Last edited:

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I get there Thursday afternoon to reserve our campsite, but other people roll out on Friday. I'm sure as the day gets closer they will chime in. You don't have to worry about bringing firewood as you can see from previous rallies Saltydeuce provides enough for several events. The way we have it set up is just one big community fire pit for everyone. It helps to bring people together and make new friends. Think about it like the family dinner table.
As far as com's go not too many of us have a CB that we monitor since once we get there we're out of the truck, but channel 5 is preferred.
Oh and yes, bring plenty of water and adult beverages of your liking. It would really impress a few of us if you would actually show up with 500 cases of beer. :wink: We might have to extend the event to a month long activity.

vvwilkins

@FastNova, Thank You.
Started work on some lighting...working brackets - next weekend need to work on the electrics..
pics attached..

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will definitely need those lights if you plan on doing any kind of night driving through the desert. I had 3 extra sets of lights besides the headlights on my truck and it still didn't seem like enough.Message_1478315586733.jpg

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys are mind readers! Again, the weekend the jeeps go out.

Saltydeuce, Go buy some Barrs Leak, 3 or four of the small bottles, Pour the contents into a strainer and wash off the liquid then put just the pellets in the cooling system. We used to do that all the time at Cummins when the old 855s developed holes in the liners so people could get back home for the repair instead of being stuck out west. He'll, I know a guy that left it in and continued to run it for 2 years before it happened again!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks