• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 M1008 - Bad Engine

tonkasal

My truck started making noises when acceleration was lifted (coasting) it gradually got worse. I found the fly wheel was hitting the maint cover. I thought it could be a bad torq converter but after checking it seemed tight and okay.

I took it to a transmission shop, and they are telling me the engine is bad and spun a bearing.

I'm not sure what do do at this point, any suggestions or thoughts? The old 6.2L is a dog and if I have to replace it, i wouldn't mind going with something newer with more power and efficiency. Has anyone dropped in a new modern engine?
I'm in the the Atlanta area, does anyone know of any shops in the south I could look into?

nyoffroad

I wouldn't take a tranny shops word on a bad engine, from the few spun bearings I've seen the engine locks up and dosn't continue to run at all. You said the converter is ok but did you check for cracks or loose bolts where the flex plate bolts to the crankshaft? I'd put money on that.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drop the oil pan and have look.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks