• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear suspension spring help?

TDButler

Hello all,
Now I have searched high and low and found a lot of good information on suspension, BUT it's almost always exclusively in regards to FRONT suspension and spring sag or leveling options. My issue is that my rear (specifically passenger side) seems to sag a little bit. Nothing major and I assume it has to do with the airlift bumper/ rhino tire carrier I have. Now I was planning on eventually installing a Rubber Duck suspension lift with all new ball joints and the works. However, I would like to start fresh with all new coil springs to get consistent life out of the setup. I also will be converting to four door and don't want any additional rear sag when more weight is added. So, all I can seem to find is standard "variable rate" rear springs. Is there any option in the rear for a heavier duty spring (like plow springs for the front)? If so, any that possibly give a little lift? If I could get an inch or two using front plow/winch springs and some kind of rear upgraded springs, then I may not even get the lift kit. P.S. I have a '92 m998 with GEP 6.5 and is standard 2 door now. Oh, and a level stance in front is no concern, I actually prefer the factory aggressive stance with a slightly higher rear. Any info is greatly appreciated and I apologize for the long winded post. Thanks in advance,
T

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are several types of rear springs with heavier and lighter configurations.

Please give us year and options on vehicle AND a picture of the spring perches will also help.

TDButler

It's a 1992 m998 with gep 6.5 upgrade. Airlift rear bumper with rhino spare tire carrier. Bare two door standard other than that. Can't figure out how to post pictures from my phone so I will later on.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a 1992 m998 with gep 6.5 upgrade. Airlift rear bumper with rhino spare tire carrier. Bare two door standard other than that. Can't figure out how to post pictures from my phone so I will later on.
There were two types of rear upper spring mounts, IIRC, so that is what the picture is for.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Believe older ones would be steel stamped and variable rate / HD will be a casting. Lookie here > https://www.flashoffroad.com/Maintenance/FrontEnd/springs/springs_1.htm <

for types of springs set-ups and part numbers. Think about the the loading you plan on. It is easy to end up with a buck board ride, as higher load rating may not be better. (your personal preference) There all about the same height, so don't plan on a it to be a lift kit. That's what I noticed unless of course yours are junked out. Take some measurements to be sure. Look at load ratings. Big jump from stock.

NOS snow plow springs from Army Surplus Warehouse, 7012 S, Daisy Ln, Idaho Falls, ID 83402. > http://armysurpluswarehouse.com/humvee-front-helical-compression-spring/ <

Cheapest spring deal for dash twos (plow) and a stiff-EEER ride. OK highway, knock you sunglasses off... off road. NOTE: Front spring are plow. DON'T know if or how it may work on rear. Side by side they all look the same to me and that could be a problem. Someone help out here.

AND if you change springs (anything)... will need a complete alignment, just saying

No snow, plow and GO, CAMO

Last edited:

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Not an expert, but a good observer and not seeing the problem. Looks level based on the last pic.

My favorite tool is the creeper and hard hat. Get under there and start creepping, moving thing around with small pry bar, When it gets dark outside study the TM's looking and matching parts up in the TM's to compare your findings

Lots of possible items: spring/s, control arm/s cracked / bent, worn bushings, elongated bolt holes in cups, cracked frame, busted ball joint/s, shock/s stuck bent, got the right tire sizes on each side? air pressure? and the list goes on. Take some measurements, Is the other side wack too? What does it look like from the rear rear as in back. Maybe mess up cambar ?? really messed up. check tire wear.

It's pretty straightforward. Good luck.

Use proper safety gear when creeping, CAMO

OH, that spring perch is the steel stamped and welded. Will have to change out for variable rate / HD springs.

Last edited:

TDButler

Yeah thankyou, I am pretty
Positive that the pass. Rear spring is tired due to the bumper and main weight from tire carrier being primarily balanced on that side. Everything else looks pretty solid and without wear or tear. Just wondering about what rear spring options there are and what those options ultimately result in with ride height/stance

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
See my post in "What have you done to your ...." see spring change out. That's what I went thur playing the spring game. A little overkill, but what the heck, it was fun.

More to old HUMMWV than paint, CAMO

TDButler

Well, I’m gonna resurrect this old post because I believe I have discovered the answer to my problem. I was finally able to find the serial number on my rear springs, and wouldn’t ya know they are 12338316-2. Yeah, pretty sure they are FRONT snow plow springs. Now the question is, does anyone know why someone would put front snow plow springs in the rear of a Hmmwv?
I was thinking, based on the charts I’ve found, that I can replace them with 12338316-3 , 2,108lb REAR springs and that should bring the ride height back to the original aggressive stance. Any input?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That part number is for rear springs.
springs.JPG
I am not sure if the -3 springs would fit but your HMMWV will probably ride like a brick on a skateboard with 2KLB springs.
If you think it is the springs just swap sides, will not cost you anything but time.
If you have not already done so, download all the applicable TMs including the parts TMs

Last edited:

TDButler

That part number is for rear springs.
View attachment 826768
I am not sure if the -3 springs would fit but your HMMWV will probably ride like a brick on a skateboard with 2KLB springs.
If you think it is the springs just swap sides, will note test cost you anything but time.
If you have not already done so, download all the applicable TMs including the parts TMs
I have checked several resources and all have listed the -2 springs as Front springs, not for rear. I do realize the truck will likely ride pretty darn rough with -3 springs but honestly I’m not climbing Everest. It’s mostly driven on street and beach. Here are some numbers I’ve seen

Attachments

Action

12338316-2 and 12338316-3 have di
I have checked several resources and all have listed the -2 springs as Front springs, not for rear. I do realize the truck will likely ride pretty darn rough with -3 springs but honestly I’m not climbing Everest. It’s mostly driven on street and beach. Here are some numbers I’ve seen
That just shows that the H1 snow plow springs are the same as the HMMWV rear springs on your truck. AMG probably just used the stronger springs they had in stock already, for the H1 plow springs.

TDButler

Ahhhh ok, now I’m totally confused haha. I guess I’ll now have to figure out what front springs I’ve got and do some experimenting to find the combination that gets me where I want. I didn’t realize front plow springs were used in rear applications. The 1,700 rate seemed to be a little low for a troop carrier fully loaded with soldiers and gear but I’m also not a spring engineer sooo....

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
IMO... With AMG or NOS or nice pull off anything springs and shocks military, it's going to ride like a military truck. If going for a sweet ride, money and after market kits to build it for the engineered ride your looking for.

HumV..... rock, roll, bumpy and loud, CAMO

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks