• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Torque wrench for LH threaded items

Ajax MD

My understanding is that click-type torque wrenches only measure torque in RH threaded applications.
I've seen some that say "reversible" but that doesn't mean what it sounds like.

Is there a truly reversible click-type torque wrench that will measure up to 350 ft. lbs for LH threaded applications?
What are you guys doing to check your torque when adjusting wheel bearings?

TheQuaker

Ajax
I use a 200-600 Ft/Lbs Precision Instruments 3/4" Split Beam torque wrench on anything needing torque in that range. (Model PREC4D600F)
It has a reversible head so it can handle both RH and LH threads.
It is accurate, simple to set, very heavy-duty (and weighs a ton) and at 48" in length it is easy to get leverage with it on high torque applications.
It's not a cheap wrench, but torquing down lug nuts and other critical components are not areas I will take chances on and worth the spend for a quality tool in my opinion.

winfred

image1.jpgimage2.jpg
snap on torque-o-meter is my poison, they are made by a few other companys, pictured is my 600lb unit i scored off ebay unused from a navy source for under 150, i have em all the way down to 1 inch pound resolution and they hold calibration right up till the head slips, which takes about 10 years on my main one under regular use and takes $60-80 to rebuild and calibrate when i send it in

Ajax MD

Awesome, thanks. I kept finding torque wrenches that would allow you to tighten on LH threads, but they did not measure the torque...which seems kind of useless in my opinion.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My understanding is that click-type torque wrenches only measure torque in RH threaded applications.
I've seen some that say "reversible" but that doesn't mean what it sounds like.

Is there a truly reversible click-type torque wrench that will measure up to 350 ft. lbs for LH threaded applications?
What are you guys doing to check your torque when adjusting wheel bearings?
Every truck military or not the wheel bearing nuts are RH threads I have found. So any half way good CW torque wrench should go to 100/150 preload to seat then back off and then go to 50 foot pounds. Then back of maybe 1/4. I know some have said with the outer grease seal they broke off the tab on the outer seal going to 100/150 to seat. Guess you could just go to maybe 80 foot pounds and see if the tab does not break off then back to slack and then back to 50 foot pounds then the 1/4 / 1/8 back off.

Ajax
I use a 200-600 Ft/Lbs Precision Instruments 3/4" Split Beam torque wrench on anything needing torque in that range. (Model PREC4D600F)
It has a reversible head so it can handle both RH and LH threads.
It is accurate, simple to set, very heavy-duty (and weighs a ton) and at 48" in length it is easy to get leverage with it on high torque applications.
It's not a cheap wrench, but torquing down lug nuts and other critical components are not areas I will take chances on and worth the spend for a quality tool in my opinion.
Yea I picked up the Precision Instruments C5D600F Beam one inch drive help because my wheel socket that does both inner and outer nuts is one inch. Yes mine is CW/CCW but you have to remember to flip flop the extension handle. The last truck shop I helped set up they bought the torque wrench as I had no plans of staying. Now with using the 915A2 and 373 trailer and going as far as the Denton rally in NC. I thought it best to go ahead and buy one. Funny as you said the cost was high and I have only used it once to set up all the new wheels and tires on the tractor / trailer. I might have saved some money just having a truck tire shop torque all my stuff. O well just another tool in the tool box now.

PS sorry about the black font I cut and pasted it and it came out that way.

Last edited:

Katahdin

To torque LH threaded nuts with the Harbor Freight 3/4 inch 300-ft-lb wrench: Remove the two drive head screws, flip the drive head, then replace the two screws.

Ajax MD

I saw in the -20 that the bearing outer adjusting nut had to be tightened down to 250-400 ft lb. Someone in a past PM said that the driver's side was LH threads which lead me to my question.

I have a good bar-and-pointer type torque wrench that'll hit 150 ft. lbs.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
1/2" anvils are rated to 250lbs so that is max torque for a 1/2" unit. Spindle nuts are all right hand thread. I have never used a torque wrench on wheel bearing nuts. It is about the feel when tightened

sue

We have several torque wrenches, “3/4,1/2,
even some “1/4. They measure torque each
way. ? Have to use them a lot of time for
running torque on locking nuts.
When you take apart the head you will see
how a “click” type wrench works.

Ajax MD

I really liked winfred's Snap-On Torq-O-Meter even though it's not a click-type. I just snagged one from Fleabay. I'll have it checked at the local Snap-On truck.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1/2" anvils are rated to 250lbs so that is max torque for a 1/2" unit. Spindle nuts are all right hand thread. I have never used a torque wrench on wheel bearing nuts. It is about the feel when tightened
Wes most do not have your built in torque arm and the touchy feely thing you have going on. Not to mention the Dream Police aka voices in your head telling you things we might not want to know.
Yea back in 1981 when I started my paving and excavation company we had four big GMC triaxles dumps to pull the equipment trailers and haul the loads. Yea we got away with keeping an eye on the equipment / trucks and could do the touchy feely thing for the wheel bearings and wheel nuts. Since then the lawyers have doubled so I watch my donkey as much as I can. Now if I ran a repair shop again I would use video cameras to show everything is done too at least to manufacture specs with correct tools and workmanship. Then it would be up to the jury to decide I did something wrong on the repair.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks