• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Replacement Question

huskerfan

Hey guys. Long time follower of this site, recent owner of a 1986 M1028. Need to replace or rebuild my starter, but looking for advice. Mine is converted to 12V, and has an ACDelco 28MT gear reduction starter. Has been in the truck for at least 5 years - not sure exactly how long as the prior owner didn't know for sure, but had the truck for 5 years and the owner before him installed it. After a river trip about a month ago, it started to crap out. Now it won't start at all. Doghead relay is fine, and is working. Pulled the starter and bench tested it and neither the solenoid nor the motor would work. Cracked it open and it was rusted and corroded as heck inside.

Sounds like from what i read after searching the forums for a while on here is that getting the ACDelco one i have rebuilt or rebuilding it myself is the best option, but that would be about $190 and truck would be down for a bit until i could get the parts and time to rebuild it. Also heard mixed reviews on a $220 Ultima starter from O'reillys, but that comes with a lifetime warranty. Was thinking about just going the route of the Ultima starter and if it sh*ts the bed too soon, get my money back and go with a rebuild kit. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My recommendation is to purchase the new starter from O'Reillys and get going. Have your current starter rebuilt and keep it as a spare. It's 1985 technology, it will stop working at some point... usually when you need it most.

huskerfan

Sorry, was posting from my phone and thought it would work. Here are the pictures:

IMG_9496.jpgIMG_9495.jpgIMG_9494.jpgIMG_9493.jpg

[FONT=&quot]I just ended up throwing the Ultima one from O'reilly's in it since it has the lifetime warranty. Fired right up and haven't had any issues. Only weird thing is that the Delco starter didn't have any shims with it, but this one sounds like it may need one. Weird thing was that it says it's for a manual trans, but it looks identical to the Delco starter. Wondering if maybe it was listed wrong on the website?

[/FONT]
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...1986/chevrolet/k30-pickup-4wd?q=starter&pos=0

[FONT=&quot]The one listed for an automatic didn't have as large of an opening where the gear slides forward to mesh with the flywheel though. Am i missing something? [/FONT]

cucvrus

They call that a closed nose starter or a mudder starter nose. Smaller open is in theory allow less mud and dirt in. Also beefs up the strength of the starter nose. Makes sense. More material stronger nose. I seen cast steel starter noses on CUCV's in the past. You should be good. Just make sure the starter support in in place and tight. Good Luck.

huskerfan

Ahhhh, makes sense. Yup, the starter support bracket was not super tight when i took off the Delco starter as it pivoted on the bolt when i pulled down the starter, so i snugged it up tight when i threw the new Ultima one on. How would i know if i need to throw a shim on the starter?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks