• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need to Rebuild Steering, But Could Use Help!

DemolitionRanch

Hi! 1989 M998 HMMWV. The steering has been loose ever since I got it 2 years ago, but was not unsafe and I figured that's just how it was supposed to be. Recently it really has loosened up and has become very unsafe. The front wheels will walk all over the road, especially going 35 or faster. I can turn nearly a quarter turn on the steering wheel before the wheels start turning.

I crawled under the truck and noticed that several joints are loose. I'd like to totally rebuild all of it, it seems like it shouldn't be too hard but I have never done this on any vehicle before so I have some questions.

Can I buy just the bushings? Or do I have to buy a new idler arm and pitman arm and they come with new bushings? Those seem like my loosest components. Should I go ahead and replace the tie rod ends as well?
Anything else you would do while in there?

Annnnnd where is the best place to buy the parts, and does anyone happen to have part numbers? :) The last question is a bit lazy, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask!!!

Thanks in advance!
Matt

Dock Rocker

I picked up an idler and Pittman arm from Black Dog custom. You can get all of the pieces and parts from them or Kascar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I literally just did this. Look at my thread. Ongoing log of my HMMWV. Also my last several posts on what have you done lately.

I did tie rod ends. Idler arm. Pitman arm. Ball joints upper and lower. New power steering pump.

I was told to order parts from HPG, Kascar or Blackdog. I used Kascar. They will have what you need.

[EDIT] - I went with Moog ball joints, something that was endorsed by several other members here on Steel Soldiers.

Last edited:

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Watch out for imported parts. Ask before buying. If sale staff stumbles or not sure of product, move on. Control arm bushing can, but not so much be an issue. Any of the ball joints, tie rods ends, idler. Any of the parts with a ball / socket joint are working under loads. There are specifications for a little movement (see TM's). I think most of us would feel better with little to none. A wiggle here, a wobble there all adds up to a WHOAH NELLE !! ride.

If you got wiggles and wobbles seen from underneath (play in the game) that's the place to start. RED TAG those and have a buddy work the steering wheel BRAKE ON, engine idle and find the others.

You can do it with basic tools and a couple of special ones (cheap HF stuff), a big hammer and the TM's at hand. After clearing up all the loosey goosey stuff one will need to align the front end.

There a lot of things that can go wanky on these old trucks from the left hub spindle to the right side spindle and everything in between. Check everything for safety and Good Luck.

Pay now or pay again later on the parts, CAMO

DemolitionRanch

Thanks all for the help! I'm having trouble finding part numbers so I am not 100% sure I have the right parts selected. Can anyone verify that these are the correct parts? They look correct to me based on what I pulled out of my humvee, and what I have found through research. Just figured it would be worth double checking before I order $500 worth of parts. :)

Pitman Arm https://real4wd.com/store/Arm,-Pitman,-Steering-Gear
Idler Arm https://real4wd.com/store/Idler-Arm,-Steering
Outer Tie Rod End https://real4wd.com/store/Tie-rod-End,-Steering,-LH-Thread
Inner Tie Rod End https://real4wd.com/store/Tie-Rod-End,-Steering,-R.H-Thread-[inner]-L-18-SV-5151-C-12
(edit to add, the above link cuts off the hotlink at the brackets, to see it you'll have to copy/paste into your url bar.)

Thanks again for the help and the compliments on my vids!!! Glad I found this forum!!!
Matt

DemolitionRanch

Called Kascar, they were very nice. They confirmed all the parts I selected were correct so I confirmed my online order and sent them $500, lol. Can't wait to get her back on the road!!!

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Called Kascar, they were very nice. They confirmed all the parts I selected were correct so I confirmed my online order and sent them $500, lol. Can't wait to get her back on the road!!!
Put an Add next time in wanted...guys on here have that stuff for less.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put an Add next time in wanted...guys on here have that stuff for less.
Sometimes you need stuff ASAP. I like site sponsors and prefer to use them, but sometimes waiting for a PM when you want to get something done is painful.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks