• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1070 lockers

JphOshkosh

Considering an Oshkosh M1070. Confused with lockers specs.
Does M1070 have lockers in all 4 axles? Are they locked all the time, or limited slip, or are they manually locked in. Does the manual engage control just lock the front axle to the back 3. Not a lot of know how about this truck. Thanks in advance for any an all help.

davidb56

That is a prime example of the driver's lack of "energy" to get out of his comfortable cab and let some air out of the tires or chain ip the front. Log truckers up here do it all the time.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
That is a prime example of the driver's lack of "energy" to get out of his comfortable cab and let some air out of the tires or chain ip the front. Log truckers up here do it all the time.

Truck has CTIS so not needed to get out. He can simply push a button. The tires were air'd down to sand/soft mode as you can tell this from the drivers front tires on the inside look. The 1600s are rated at 14,540lbs each. They do not flex much without weight to show any signs of being air'd down.

Putting on 16.00 chains is a couple hour chore and would probably need some equipment if you arent a big guy. Your loggers are running 10R and 11R22.5s not 1600s.

The guy in the video is a member here. maybe he will chime in

Nomadic

Considering an Oshkosh M1070. Confused with lockers specs.
Does M1070 have lockers in all 4 axles? Are they locked all the time, or limited slip, or are they manually locked in. Does the manual engage control just lock the front axle to the back 3. Not a lot of know how about this truck. Thanks in advance for any an all help.
I read that truck was capable of being fully locked with switches in the cab to control the lockers. Wikipedia reflects that it does have diff lockers, but the author could be mistaking. In the owners manual of the previous generation HET, it describes controls in the cab for diff locks for off-road use only. If you can find the owners manual it should tell you. I think the number is 9-2320-427-10, but it isn't clear to me which M1070 A-generation that manual is for.

74M35A2

I also believe they have selectable lockers, but not sure. Several here own those vehicles and hopefully chime in to put us in our place.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have only ever seen the single TR1 Switch on the center dash on the olders HETs for locking the driveline up completely which locks in the Front axle and I believe the #2/3 axle. Not a selectable setup. Transfer case has a Low/Neutral/High Selection and that is it.

JphOshkosh

That IS a disappointment. I have not purchased one yet but close. Have been doing alot of research in advance. I thought an m1070 in low gear was actually a true 8wheel drive. Sounds like you are saying all four axles have stnd differentials but can be locked but can locked together so in reality it is only a 4 wheel drive. Is that understanding correct? I see you have a US version but live in London. Are the British versions all true 8 wheel drives? Thanks again for your reply

Hummermark

Hi if you have all the wheels on one side on ice and the other side on the road (no ice good surface) in low range and power divider air switch in centre of dash engaged then in theory it would not move only the wheels on ice spinning.
i have not owned or worked on the caterpillar powered ones yet but I believe they bo not have a transfer case as far as cross axle dif locks I do not know.

i have often wondered why the reluctance of the US not to have diff locks on there wheeled vehicles.
uk military is also the same ie our bedfords daf and land rovers did not have them.
But German and Russian have them on a lot of there's?
i took my Gpw , Land Rover 90 and swb Mercedes g wagon all ex military over the same ground same track all got stuck ie two wheels spinning in the same spot but when I engage diff lock on the g wagon it was able to drive out.
so I can certainly see the benefit of diff locks.

Last edited:

TehTDK

i have often wondered why the reluctance of the US not to have diff locks on there wheeled vehicles.
uk military is also the same ie our bedfords daf and land rovers did not have them.
But German and Russian have them on a lot of there's?
i took my Gpw , Land Rover 90 and swb Mercedes g wagon all ex military over the same ground same track all got stuck ie two wheels spinning in the same spot but when I engage diff lock on the g wagon it was able to drive out.
so I can certainly see the benefit of diff locks.
Most if not all of our military vehicles have 4x4 or AWD and are capable of at least locking the center diff, some can lock the rear diff and then more or less all of our trucks can do a full lockup of all the axles. And then we have dedicated off road vehicles like the G Wagon, Eagles etc that also can do a full axles locks. And while its a PITA to try and turn with, its a godsend at the same time as the vehicle will just chew through the terrain like a hungry US Marine at chowhall :p

Nomadic

Most if not all of our military vehicles have 4x4 or AWD and are capable of at least locking the center diff, some can lock the rear diff and then more or less all of our trucks can do a full lockup of all the axles. And then we have dedicated off road vehicles like the G Wagon, Eagles etc that also can do a full axles locks. And while its a PITA to try and turn with, its a godsend at the same time as the vehicle will just chew through the terrain like a hungry US Marine at chowhall :p
So the MTVR 7-Ton in the traction test scenario where one side of the vehicles wheels are on ice and the other side dry asphalt, when the driver presses the accelerator the wheels will not spin (traction control) and the vehicle doesn't move. Does that sound right or does the MTVR have more traction capability in that scenario?

TehTDK

So the MTVR 7-Ton in the traction test scenario where one side of the vehicles wheels are on ice and the other side dry asphalt, when the driver presses the accelerator the wheels will not spin (traction control) and the vehicle doesn't move. Does that sound right or does the MTVR have more traction capability in that scenario?
Cant say for the MTVR-7. But here if i do a triple difflock, and half the truck is on ice and the other half is on asphalt then I would easily pull away since every axle is locked to turn at the same speed at both wheels. The HMMV should too due to its Torsen Diffs.

Last edited:

glepaco

Goodmorning Members,

I just saw this post today. Hopefully not to late.
Well to begin: The older versions of the M1070 1992-2003 I guess don`t have the diff locks from side to side. They only have the front wheel drives and interaxle locks or power deviders from axle to axle. The newer versions do have both locks (axle to axle and wheel to wheel), M1070A1, MTVR, M-ATV, MK31, PLS and LVSR.

We badly needed the wheel to wheel locks for the logging roads etc, so we changed all 4 differentials. We couldn`t just add the air lock, because the differential housing and gear didn`t had the options to just add the locks. I will post some pictures soon from before and after. It really helpes a lot now with both locks. Before we had to chain up the tires if it rained a little bit and the mountains were a little bit slippery, but now we chain up the tires once a year maybe (in very worst conditions).

In the video that was posted on youtube, we have to agree that there wasn`t too much drivers skills, because it was our first trip to the bush. And we had to drive in low to activate the interaxle locks in that time. The driveline lock activates the front wheel drive and if you put it in low it activates the interaxles locks. So if we were in the high of the transfercase, we would only have power to the front axle and 1 rear axle. In the video you can also hear that we used the CTIS to lower the air in the tires.

Hope this info helps. If you have any questions, please feel free. I have a lot of parts now of the original differentials. So if anyone of you need parts of axles, just let me know.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks