• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to the MEP-802a

kiddra

I am new to the MEP-802a world. I just purchased a unit from iron planet. I hope to pick it up in the next couple of days. This unit looks complete but it was not tested due to no batteries. It has 35 hours on the counter but I'm not sure if this is accurate. I plan to conduct all of the regular maintenance prior to attempting to start i.e. oil, coolant, new batteries, and checking fuel system out. I have seen all kind of helpful posts here on repairs. Is there anything else I should check prior to starting? I may try to soak rings with oil prior to cranking engine. Would I add oil through the injector openings by pulling the injectors? I will also conduct the excite circuit mod and MOV mod if already not accomplished. Thank for any input you could provide.

fa35jsf

Do everything you stated except the soaking the rings with oil. Just use the dead crank switch to spin the engine for 15 seconds before your first start. That will get the oil moving enough. If you pull injectors you will need to find new copper washers that seal the injectors in. Also, this thing is a pain to work on the engine because of the enclosure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcamacho

Highly suggest changing out the fuel tank well plugs with brass/viton assemblies. The stock wellnuts will fail if not failed already.

Check ultimate wellnut thread...

Last edited:

kiddra

So I pick up my MEP-802a yesterday. Got it home and changed oil filter and added oil, added coolant, and today I will be cleaning out the fuel system and filters. I also picked up two batteries and wired them in. Went to check for any signs of life on the control panel and all I got was some dim light out of the panel lights and gauges moved a little when I cycled through the positions on the start switch. No other signs of life. I haven't had a lot of time to look at it yet. I did verify 24 volts at the fuse behind the control panel and 24 volts at the emergency shut down switch. Anyone have any idea where I should start? I have downloaded the trouble shooting guides and will start working my way through that.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember don't start it until you at least have the fuse mod installed.

Does it turn over using the Dead Crank switch?
Do you have ~+24 at S1 terminals 2,4,6&8 when S1 is in the PRIME/RUN position?
Do you get ~+24 at S1 terminal 3 when S1 is in the PRIME/RUN position?

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...It does not turn over with the dead crank switch?..
It's possible CR1 is bad. Here is how to test for it.
1) Connect your meters negative lead to ground. There is a ground stud on the back wall of the cube to the lower right of the Voltage regulator.
2) Connect your meters positive to the right end of CR1. Check for ~24 volts DC there. CR1 is mounted on the parts panel on the back left of the control cube.
3) Move the Dead Crank to the Crank position and again check for ~24 volts DC at the right end of CR1.
4) Move Dead Crank to OFF.
5) Move your positive meter lead to the left end of CR1. Check for ~24 volts DC there.
6) Move the Dead Crank to the Crank position and again check for ~24 volts DC at the left end of CR1.
7) Move Dead Crank to OFF.

Do you get ~24 volts DC at steps 2,3,5 & 6?
If not, what do you get for voltage readings at each step.

kiddra

So an update. I turn motor over before attempting to start everything seems normal. I 'm attempting to clean out a brown material coating the walls of the fuel tank prior to putting in new gas. The old fuel filters were in pretty good shape but replaced. I was able to turn the motor over with the dead crank switch my mechanically agitating the cranking relay. I took voltages at S1 terminals 2,4,6&8 and have 24 volts in OFF and 5 volts in PRIME/RUN I also have 5 volt on terminal 3 when in PRIME/RUN.

kiddra

So CR1 is sticking. I have to tap it to get it to crank using dead crank. Still nothing from the main switch. When I go to Prime/ Run the fuel pump does not come on. I have verified both pumps by putting 24 volts to the positive of pump. Where should I look next.

Last edited:

fa35jsf

It’s simple. Put fuel in the tank!

I had the same problem recently where I thought I had a big problem because it wouldn’t crank and the pumps wouldn’t come on. Turns out the fuel tank was completely empty and it must have some sort of safety feature.

kiddra

I'm in the process of updating the well plugs. I saw in the wiring diagram the low fuel safety feature so I used rags to put the floats at the full position but that did not effect the fuel pumps. Still nothing in PRIME/RUN

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks