Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MEP- 803A All Weather Enclosure

Private
    Thanks

I like the hood design. Are you selling them?

Thanks

I have a few left. These are heavy aluminum (3/16" thick), that are laser cut and bent. I will see how much I have in them. They were not cheap as it took a whole sheet to make one.
    When you put the 2 words 'The' and 'IRS' together it spells 'Theirs....'

Private
    Thanks

I have decided I am just going to have roof protection leaving all sides open. Now for the exhaust I think I will just flash the underside of the enclosure so I can wipe the soot off. Anyone see why this would not work?

Colonel
    Thanks

There is a very large amount of airflow from the generator blowing the exhaust off to the side, so as long as there is plenty of space for it to blow the heat and exhaust out away from the unit and not back into the intake I don't see any issues.

You could always make removable panels to hide it when you aren't using it, then remove them all when you want to fire it up. That is unless you plan to install the automatic start board one of the members here has been selling for these things, in which case you'd want unrestricted airflow all the time.

Thanks

You can't just leave these things in the elements? Im asking because I'm close to pulling the trigger and I thought they would be fine without an enclosure.

Colonel
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enem178 View Post
    You can't just leave these things in the elements? Im asking because I'm close to pulling the trigger and I thought they would be fine without an enclosure.
    That's pretty much all we ever did in my unit in the Army. Some of the ones mounted to trailers had bows and covers over them, mostly the MEP00X series. The MEP80X units didn't get covered.

It SHOULD be just fine out in the weather, but here in the civilian world we don't typically have all the same resource and supply chain behind us that the military does, so a little extra protection is never a bad thing.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coug For This Useful Post:

69birdman (09-23-2019), Guyfang (09-23-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Coug View Post
    That's pretty much all we ever did in my unit in the Army. Some of the ones mounted to trailers had bows and covers over them, mostly the MEP00X series. The MEP80X units didn't get covered.

It SHOULD be just fine out in the weather, but here in the civilian world we don't typically have all the same resource and supply chain behind us that the military does, so a little extra protection is never a bad thing.

Got it! Thx

Thanks
    Thanked 5,561 Times in 2,682 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Coug View Post

Got to agree. As long as the exhaust flap stays closed, its going to be alright from elements. The critter problem requires a bit more thought. Mice, bees, mud dobbers and the like, not to mention these things seem to be hornet magnets, can be a problem. I lived for a year in Graham, not far from you. Read some of the threads about critter control. For my money, I have seen more damage from mice, then weather.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Guyfang For This Useful Post:

enem178 (09-23-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Guyfang View Post
    Got to agree. As long as the exhaust flap stays closed, its going to be alright from elements. The critter problem requires a bit more thought. Mice, bees, mud dobbers and the like, not to mention these things seem to be hornet magnets, can be a problem. I lived for a year in Graham, not far from you. Read some of the threads about critter control. For my money, I have seen more damage from mice, then weather.

I may consider installing it on a utility trailer and storing it in the garage until needed.

General
    Thanks

Hardware cloth or expanded metal mesh to cover the openings keeps everything out. I use hardware cloth in the air intakes and the expanded metal from the fan guards underneath to fill the holes there.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smokem joe For This Useful Post:

69birdman (09-24-2019), enem178 (09-23-2019), Guyfang (09-26-2019)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast