• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crank Shaft Removal

JKELLS

I have successfully removed a crank shaft out of a 71' Multi-Fuel. It isn't too bad if you are a toll hoarder such as myself. Remove the transmission and all drive plates (obviously). Take cab side engine mount bolts (2) off. Use the engine hoist (I have a 2 ton) and slightly lift the cab side of the block. Take a secondary lift, I mounted a hand crank winch on my engine hoist. Using a strap put tension on the crank. Loosen the bell housing from block studs. Lift cab side of block high enough to remove both of the engine mounts (4) bushings. Then lower the block til the bell housing is roughly less than an inch from the frame mounts. Jimmy out the bell housing as far as you can. Use Secandary to lower the crank shaft slowly.

Last edited by a moderator:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about putting it back? How on earth do you expect to get precise torque wrench readings while hugging the front axle? Reassembly is a precision task that needs to be performed in a clean well lit shop.

exhogflyer

One can ALWAYS find a short-cut method to disassemble anything. It's a little more difficult to reassemble usually. I've watched guys remove cylinder heads with engine cranes so they can "sneak" a head gasket out without unhooking anything. But unless you have pancake fingers how are you cleaning surfaces before reassembly.
Not impressed but don't take it personal.

JKELLS

I guess I am just really, very good at what I do. Every one of my rebuilds still run. Not trying to impress anyone. Never know when and where you might be in a sticky situation.

rustystud

What about putting it back? How on earth do you expect to get precise torque wrench readings while hugging the front axle? Reassembly is a precision task that needs to be performed in a clean well lit shop.
Totally agree. Even in a flat rate shop this would not be allowed. Now if your just replacing crank bearings that can be done "in-frame" . Though you still need to check the shaft.

davidb56

I guess I am just really, very good at what I do. Every one of my rebuilds still run. Not trying to impress anyone. Never know when and where you might be in a sticky situation.
I can see it done under a emergency situation. just remember to plastigage from the block side.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks